Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curry leaf plant lighting in winter

Posted by DocHudson 6 / NYC (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 11:21

Hello folks,

I plan to take my little curry leaf plant indoors as soon as temps drop below 60F. Before that, I would like to be ready with its winter lighting.

I have East side window, where the plant will sit and should get at least 3 to 4 hours of sun. The problem is though, since the plant will be behind the glass, it will get only UVA (heat) and very few UVB. My mint plant really burned last year because of the heat (although I keep the fan on so that the air keeps circulating). How should this part be handled?

With lighting after dark, I was considering regular CFL. I am not interested in HPS light or similar, mainly for energy use and safety issue. Do folks use similar light? Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curry leaf plant lighting in winter

• Posted by xman 7/8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 23:03

Hi,

I have an area of 3ft x 8ft in the garage that I use for keeping the plants in winter (curry plant, moringa, etc). This area is lit by 6 of these CFL bulbs, these are 6500K bulbs. These bulbs are on a timer, 16 hours on, 8 hours off.
The temperature in the garage varies based on the outside temperature, I have seen it go anywhere from 30 - 45 degrees this winter.

xman

Here is a link that might be useful: CFL

o

My curry leaf plant stays indoors all year long (we don't like to bring in plants that have been outside for fear of bugs / insects coming in).

Anyways, I have it by an east facing window and it is doing just fine (about 6' ft. tall) and full of healthy leaves,Just water it twice a week.

No lights, no fertilizer, no fan nothing. But it is in a spare bedroom and temperatures are pretty much around 68 all year round (either AC in summer or heat in winter).

It is in a fairly large pot though.

o

I am just curious , I see so much interest fo this stuff.
What do you do with Curry Leaf ?
Few years Ago I bough one and found out that it is was only good for pot pore , not edible.

I know what Indian Curry(spice ) is. it is made from half a dozen spices. I wonder , if it is a spice, how much of it can you use in a year ?
The next time I am in Indian Grocery store I will find out.
I am interested to know what it is and how it is used.

o

It is not a spice exactly, but a flavoring like cilantro, parsley etc. In south Indian dishes they are used both fresh and dried and powdered.

May be an acquired taste, but I love the smell of it.

Not only is it good flavoring,but I have been told that it is very nutritional (one of the rare plants that extract trace elements from the soil that are essential for our body).

Another use for it is in hair oils and such (although I have not used it that way)\

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here