Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chunnu_gw

Luffa acutangula Common name Ridged luffa

chunnu
16 years ago

I have this Luffa acutangula Common name Ridged luffa plant.

But it is not flowering and so no vegetables :(

One of the vines gets dried everyday.

This is the first time, I planted this seed. It is growing but not considerably. I will try to post a picture of the vine next time. the leaves are also turning yellow.

Am I watering too much?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Chunnu

Comments (3)

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

If you suspect you're watering too much, then you probably are. Melons don't like wet feet.

Also... what are your temperatures? If it's 96 or above where you are (and I suspect it is), the plants are dormant because it's too hot. Wait until it cools down and you'll likely start to see blossoms again.

The general rule of thumb for watering is that mature plants need 1-2 inches of rain per week in summer. You should provide whatever portion of this moisture is lacking. One inch of rain equals 65 gallons per 100 square feet of garden space. But this is just a guide. Time of the season, stage of the plants, soil composition, and many other factors affect the amount of water required. Be consistent during fruit production.

You will have to adjust throughout the season and be attentive to the amount of rainfall you receive each week. There are two schools of thought on watering. Frequent shallow waterings or less frequent long, deep waterings.

Mulched plants require less water than plants that are not mulched. Raised beds require more than non-raised beds.

If a good amount of compost is incorporated into the soil, less water is needed. Compost holds 6 times it's weight in water.

Watering too frequently and too heavily is just as hard on plants as too little water. Roots require oxygen just as much as they require water and nutrients.

Dry winds dehydrate plants.

Cooler temps require less water.

Those using drip irrigation whether from a soaker hose or milk jug are likely getting the best use of their water which is going right where it needs to go and the ground has time to absorb it.

There are hundreds of methods of watering. Whatever you do, just be consistent. But I do agree, twice a day sounds like too much. Roots require oxygen equally as much as they require nutrients and water.

I personally believe in a couple of deep waterings per week with the use of 2 inches of mulch to reduce evaporation and maintain a more stable soil temperature.

Plants recover from dehydration much better then they ever recover from the roots being suffocated by drowning so underwatering is better than overwatering until you get the hang of it. Oxygen is equally as important as water and nutrients and rain water is always better than municipal tap water.

• chunnu
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks a lot, Violet.
    As some body mentioned in the forums, you are really very prompt at giving responses and not just responses but informative responses.
    Yes, we do water the plants with drip system, twice a day for 20 mins each time.
    I think it is too much water.
    I think 20 mins per day should be fine, right?
    Also the temperatures here are 105-110 :(

Thanks
    Chunnu

• wilsonwong
    16 years ago

Hi Chunnu,

Are you fertilising excessively with nitrogen? If there is excess nitrogen, the vines will grow vegetatively rather than producing enough flowers.

With an excess of leaves, there can be excessive shade casted on the plant which will also prevent the production of flowers. Check that the plant is receiving enough direct sunlight.

Wilson

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia