Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cowgirl_june

Okinawan Sweet Potato

cowgirl_june
15 years ago

I live in California and I would like grow some Okinawan Sweet Potato next year. I am looking for a source in Ca.

Does anyone on the forum grow these? Or know where I can purchase some?

June

Comments (12)

• fragrantgarden99
    15 years ago

Hi June:

Try Mericlonelabs.com in Fresno. They are organic and they have several types of purples, including Okinawa purple, purple speckled(which grows better than Okinawa,) oriental purple and violet. Those varieties aren't listed on the website, but just ask Debbie for them.

In addition to purples, they also carry unusual varieties. Debbie uses the mericlone process to clean up any viruses so her plants are vigorous and disease free. They also preserve many varieties that are passed over by big seed companies because they don't grow impressive tubers to show well, or have huge yields. But those varieties are perfect for home growers to savor.
    I just ordered from them myself and couldn't be more pleased.

Just one thing: Please, please don't deplete her stock too much. Leave some for me for next year. Hehe

FG.

P.S.: I just found out that all the purple sweet potatoes from Asian grocery stores came from Hawaii and have been irradiated, ostensibly to prevent the spread of nematodes but in reality to keep a monopoly on the product for Hawaii. I have read that irradiation causes chemical change in foods and long-term consumption could cause cancer. I think the supermarkets should label the foods as such if irradiated.

FG

• cowgirl_june
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you FG I will contact Debbie. That is very interesting that the potatoes are irradiated. I was thinking that the Asian grocery stores might be my only hope, but now I have a source. Thanks again for your help.
    June

• fragrantgarden99
    15 years ago

You're most welcome, June. Good luck.

I became suspicious of store bought purple sweet potatoes after accidentally leaving one out for a few months and it had no sprouts, just shriveled. This is different than the sweet potatoes that I buy at Whole Foods. Those will simply sprout if not cooked. I asked around and was told about irradiation. A quick googling confirmed this. I have not bought another purple sweet potato since.

Happy growing.
    FG

• samj530
    13 years ago

If you live near Marysville, CA (45 minutes North of Sacramento) there is a Sunday flea market next to Marysville Raceway Park. A few local Asian growers offer the purple flesh varieties for sale. Because they are locally grown, they are not irradiated, so they can be sprouted. I plan on purchasing some for this purpose as soon as they are available!

• guavalane
    13 years ago

Thank you FG for referencing the source. All slips ordered from Mericlonelabs.com grew very well in this garden last year.

• mlee5150_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Hello, I want to purchase some purple sweet potatoes plants.. Could you please let me know if have any plants ?

Thanks,
    Marvin

• User
    12 years ago

I was referred to the Mericlonelabs.com a year ago, out of season for buying the Okinawa sweet potatos. Now this year, I have been unable to get the website to come up.

I did buy a couple of potatos from my local Saigon Supermarket, which had sprouts. I put them in the ground outdoors, and hope they continue to grow. Apparently, in south Alabama, they can grow them locally. But I'd like to get some virus free from Debby if possible.

If anyone can get to Mericlonelabs.com, will you do so and post the link here for me? I have no idea what my computer has against me going there~~ !!!

But on another note:
    I boiled some of the potatos from the market, and then blendered them up. I intended to make a nice pie with it, but it was quite tasty just blendered up like that. I added some fat free half and half and some Splenda, and made a fantastic HUGE smoothie or lavender milk shake. Even my parrots loved it. Never got around to making the pie, but the recipe is on the Smaller Homes forum Conversation side, of GardenWeb, of course. The original poster for the recipe is FLGARGOYLE.

• yukkuri_kame
    12 years ago

Around Los Angeles and Orange County, you can try Nijiya Japanese Market, it's a chain supermarket. They usually have at least one variety of Japanese sweet potatoes, organic, from their own farm east of San Diego.

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

No matter how hard I try and from what angle I try, I can't connect with Mericlonelabs.com every time you type it in it goes to some crazy add about somthing else. I tryed google same thing errrgrgrgrg

Carmen LOL

• fusion_power
    12 years ago

Mailing Address:
    3144 North G Street Suite #125 PMB #254
    Merced, California 95340 (United States)

Phone: (209) 489-6176

Try calling direct.

DarJones

• mericlonelabs
    9 years ago

Hello!

I know this is several years later, but in case you're still looking for MeriClone Labs, you can find us at the link below. Debbie's website was shut down in 2011, and we've finally got it back up and running. I'm low on Okinawan plants this year, but if you're looking for other purple varieties (Purple, Purple Delight, Violeta, Molokai Purple), I have limited quantities available for sale. Next year, I'll be living in Davis, CA and starting MeriClone back up in earnest with the mission of carrying on Debbie's legacy of great plants and great service. Please visit the website and keep us in mind for plants in Spring 2015!

Many thanks,
    Evan William LaBrant
    MeriClone Labs

Here is a link that might be useful: MeriClone Labs

• Jj Zhang
    7 years ago

You can find tasty Okinawan Sweet Potatoes at www.hawaiifsp.com. They ship nationwide for free!

Sponsored