Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Japanese Pickling Melons -- YUM!

denninmi
13 years ago

I grew these for the first time this year. They took a while to get going, and they aren't going to yield too many fruits, because it's hot, humid, and I've gotten bored with the garden and quit spraying for mildew like 3/4 weeks ago and powdery mildew is killing them quickly.

But, those I have gotten, I'm using them like cucumbers when fairly small, and I really like them. Flavor is like a cuke, but what I really liked is the very light, crispy texture, more like a waterchestnut or even the flesh of a honeycrisp apple.

Overall, I was pleased with them, and I'm planning to do tham again next year, being a little more proactive about disease issues.

Comments (5)

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

denninmi

I am very interested in the oriental melons. I am having a difficult time learning about them. One reason is the change in names etc. And so many things seem to have so many different names. I find it hard to pin down exactly what is referenced. For example here it would be nice to know the name of the melon and the seed source.

For example there is the Japanese bitter melon. Is this the same? And even here there are many different uses of the names. It is all so confusing.

A picture might help but there should be a picture and description at the seed source.

I did buy the book on growing chinese veggies. It helps some but brings up more questions.

Growing Chinese Vegetables in Your Own Backyard: A Complete Planting Guide for 40 Vegetables & Herbs, from Bok Choy & Chinese Parsley to Mung Beans & Water Chestnuts

author Geri Harrington

bye the way are you doing any other oriental melons.

I take it you are eating these fresh and not pickling them.

• denninmi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, I guess I should take this into account.

I got them from Kitizawa. The link is to their online catalog page about them.

These pickling melons are a variety of regular Cucumis melo, similar in concept to an Armenian cucumber, which is also a melon used when immature like a cucumber.

I didn't get enough to make pickles with, but I bet they would make an awesome pickle.

Bitter melons are an entirely different crop. I am growing those, too, but I don't eat them, too bitter for my taste, I just like to see them grow, the fruits are really unique looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Pickling Melons

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

well we are closer. 3 to go.

Green Striped
    green skin with some dark green stripes.

Katsura Giant
    more long and straight like a zuchinni. The fruit can reach 14" long. light green also but a bit darker and maybe not turn white when mature.

Numane
    A little fatter at the blossom end. has light green skin that turns almost white when mature. The melon grows to 12" long and looks like a fat cucumber. This variety thrives in cool areas.

I will guess you picked the 3rd one since it "thrives in cool areas."

I want to grow them for pickling. I hope they are not too low on yield. I will probably pick numane. sorry to hear they have problems with powdery mildew as that is a bad one for me. And I never spray anything.

• denninmi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had the Green Striped and the Numane.

I saw basically no difference in the two kinds in any way except for the color of the skin of the fruit -- one was dark green, the other light green.

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

good to know because I was interested in other things like disease resistance as you mentioned. and of course Yield. I will just get some and report back next year. Hope I get some yield. I have not had much luck with melons or cucumbers. I do ok though on squash. Probably because I never water and never fight any disease. I try to weed a little. hehe. Squash seem to not need to be watered all the time but melons and cucs seem to want that watering. Then something comes in and gets all the cucs and melon leaves to look moldy and die. The squash get it later in the year and by then I have a few on the vines. Although this year was early.

thanks for taking the time to respond and help me out. I appreciate it. I am zone 5 also and I think you do terrific for zone 5.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler