Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MURRAYA koenigii curry leaf plant seeds sowed

Posted by behlgarden 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 13:34

Just wanted to update all. I received 100 seeds from seedrack.com for MURRAYA koenigii, it turned out that seeds were shipped from India and were very aromatic. Seeds arrived dry and thats the way they ship from India is what I was told. In order to test it out, I sowed 50 seeds directly into the ground in moist area and sowed remaining 50 seeds after I soaked the seeds in water for 24-hours in a different but similar conditions area.

I will let you know how the germination goes. Anybody tried seedrack.com? I was told that seeds are fresh from recent crop and should be planted right away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MURRAYA koenigii curry leaf plant seeds sowed

Awesome! I ordered some seeds from seedrack through amazon. I figure if they dont deliver or grow I have amazon as the middle man. I haven't received them yet but I would be very curious to know about your germination rates. I was reading in an earlier post that the seed has a covering kinda like a peanut skin. If you try and peel it off it should be green inside. Simple way to check viability. Let me know what works! Good luck on the seeds and keep them warm!

o

teddyrockspin,

I was very excited just as you initially. delivery took 5-weeks and all seeds were rotten, I went ahead and planted them anyway and got no results. In the mean time Seedrack sent another batch of seeds but they were all rotten too. I emailed seedrack and they were kind enough to refund the $$ to me. Seedrack is a good company and good customer service and respond with 24-hours. its just that seeds come from India (for curry leaf) and they mostly rott in transit that takes 2-3 weeks to get to USA. Let me know when you get yours and if they germinate.

o

Hey!
Well my order never came so I contacted them and they gave me the option of either sending them out again or getting a refund. I took the refund. He said there was a problem with the batch of seeds they mailed... Regardless have you seen any sprouts?

o

behlgarden and teddyrockspin--where do you both live? Meaning which state/city/zone?

Anna

o

Hi Anna, I live in Riverside County Southern California. Teddyrockspin, no, I got ZERO sprouts, the guy seems honest in returning our money and acknowleding that batch was bad.

o

behlgarden--is is difficult to get curry leaf plant in south california? I always though because of heat there, one can get almost all tropical plants.

Correct me if I am wrong. I live in North NJ.

Anna

o

Hi Anna, curry leaf plant grows very well in southern california. my plant that I purchased (15 gal) for $50 has turned lush green now after I planted into the ground 6 weeks ago.

o

Great! Not sure than why you are looking for seeds?

Just wanted to let you know--I do have quite a few fresh seeds to spare/trade.

Anna

o

Hi Anna, the reason for seeking more seeds is that I am ye to see if the plant survives frost in coming winter and want to have on the side couple seedlings so I have backup just in case the plant dies. Would you mind sharing the fresh seeds? I can sawp other seeds such as pepper, eggplant, tomatoes, etc. Please let me know, private email infofiles@gmail.com thanks

o

Hi Anna,

I would like to plant murraya. I dont have any seeds to swap but if possible can you mail me some spare ones. My email add. is npurni at yahoo.com

Thanks,
Purnima

o

Sorry guys, yesterday rain and wind knocked off my plant and all seeds were scattered all over the ground. They were not yet ready to pick.

bhelgarden--I will not be able to mail you seeds either.

Anna

o

Hey Anna and Behl,

I live in the california bay area. I'm not sure which zone that is.

I was thinking about reordering from that guy even though his seeds may be bad but he has some cool seeds that I want to give a try. Worse case scenario ill get a refund.

I'm a noob at gardening but im willing to give it a whirl!

Let me know if you guys learn or know anywhere else to get the seeds or similar plants that actually grow or a good source for seeds.

Thanks again

o
Growing instructions

Hi Anna and Behl,

Could you tell me a bit on how you keep your plant growing? I'm planning on growing them from seeds. It seems like you both have had some good success in growing these plants. Is it better to keep the plants in a pot... or grow it as an indoor plant or right into the soil? Do you guys use fertilizers and if so what kind (like there is some kinda numbering system i think its nitrogen phosphorus and something else lol). Do you think it would be alright mixing in miracle grow powder in the potting soil then planting the seeds? lol I honestly have no clue what im going to do so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

o

teddyrockspin, Curry leaf is a very slow growing plant and small plants dont survive winter outside. I would recommend getting a mature plant for cheap and not wait years to enjoy it. On seeds I would definitely sow few to get more plants. Plantogram has this plant in Florida in 3GAL and plants I believe are about 4'-5' tall, good 3 plus year old. take a look http://plantogram.com/index.php?ukey=product&productID=164

Also, if you didnt already seed it, it may be too late by Oct as if you get a sprout cold temperatues will kill it.

On fertilizer, My plant was 4' tall but not as green when I planted it from pot to garden, watched it for couple months with not much progess. then I went with 16-12-10 NPK citrus fertilizer and boom, saw a growth spurt and leaves are now lush green.

o

wish everybody the best with the curry leaf seeds, here we know you cannot dry the seeds and viability is only about 2 weeks(central luzon philippines , owner of small family producing curry leaf netreprise)in season we sell fresh seeds and we have seedlings we sent bareroot worlwide

o

I read from the forum you should peel the fruit out and plant the seed.I planted seeds (2 seeds out of 8 were in sowing condition rest were rotten.) and after 8th day ..... still nothing grows out of it :( I am so sad :( :( I have been looking for this plant from so so long . I had gotten the seeds from my mother in law who lives in Florida. I am in Pittsburgh. People if someone has a plant to spare , please help me .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here