Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vidnand

Murraya Koenigii (Curry leaf plant) - Need Help!

vidnand
12 years ago

Hi All,

My curry leaf plant which is around 38 inches tall looks like it got infected. This plant has 3 branches. it is in a pot which might be around 30 gal. I recently (around 2 months back) moved in to a new house and left the pot in a location where one branch was getting fullsun and the other were getting less. Recently after i came back from my vacation(11/2 months), I noticed that the branch that got full sunlight almost doubled in size. So i moved the pot to a location where it gets full sunlight.

A few days back, beore moving the pot, i noticed some yellow leaves with few black spot on them. I checked for some trace of insects(like spider mites). I didn't see any. Then i moved the pot to the current location. After few days of moving, i noticed lot of small ants over the plant and the pot. I immediately sprayed the plant with plain water.. After few days, now i notice that few leaves have turned brown(which is also little crisp and showing veins). It also appears that the edges of the leaf is a bit curled towards the back. I am not sure whether it is sun damage. When i washed the plant, it was around 5 pm and sun was there for an hour or more after that.. It will be great if somebody can help me out. I don't want to lose my plant. I feed my plants with organic fertilizer and fish emulsion once a while(now around 2 months).

I've attached some pics. for your reference

Comments (17)

• vidnand
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here comes the link for the pics..

Forgot to mention that i saw few white patches on the leaves(i noticed only 2 tiny spots). I have also marked that in one of my photos.. that says check the marking..

Here is a link that might be useful: filckr photos

• teddyrockspin
    12 years ago

It doesn't seem infected... my limited knowledge tells me it might be that by washing the plant in water you kinda burned the leaves (the water droplets act like a little magnifying glass and the leaves get burned). The second idea might be fertilizers might have burned the plant make sure you have the right dilution. The third cause could be infestations by ants or aphids. Watch the stems of the plant for any changes. Try getting a antifungal spray (most contain diluted sulfur) so I dont think you would hurt the plant. Also try using a soap based wash to clean your plant in a shaded area.

• purnima
    12 years ago

Hi,

The plant looks good. If you have extra seeds, can you share it with me? I live in the bay area.

Thanks,

Purnima

• chaman
    12 years ago

Ants might have laid eggs on the plant that must be removed.Spraying water may not be enough to remove eggs.Go to local nursery for some Neem oil or similar product.Pl. read the label carefully before you buy one.
    Good Luck

• vidnand
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Chaman,
    Thanks for the responSe. Could you pls be more specific, like what I should look for the lable, how I should dilute, any care needed after that etc..

Thanks,

Vidyaa

• venkatnet
    11 years ago

Hi Vidyaa, I have a kari patta tree and have the similar problem. I appreciate your help on this. I live in southern California. The leaves on the top only have this problem. The bottom ones are fine, Thanks, Venkat

• uttara
    11 years ago

Hi, I have a curry patha plant planted in the ground.It is almost 15 years old. I live in saratoga

• bhuvana
    11 years ago

Hi,
    I need a curry patha plant, any body have that, please reply back

Live in WA state

• chaman
    11 years ago

Hi uttara
    I need some seeds of Murraya koenigii (curry leaf plant). I have Jasmin ( but-mogro) for exchange.Pl. let me know if this acceptable.

• purnima
    11 years ago

Hi Uttara,

I live in Saratoga, CA. Is it possible for me to get some seeds of curry leaf plant?
    Thanks,
    Purnima

• SARDACSS
    11 years ago

I NEED HELP/ADVISE HOW TO GET CURRY LEAVES FROM BY
    CURRY LEAF PLANT WITH TWO BROWN STICKS ABOUT 36 INCHES LONG, AND ONE 24 INCHES LONG

I STARTED KEEPING PLANT OUTSIDE FROM APRIL 5TH,
    2012 ONWARDS. BEFORE THEY WERE INDOORS FROM OCTOBER 2011
    I DID NOT WATER CURRY LEAF PLANT UNTIL 5TH APRIL 2012

AS OF TODAY JUNE 6TH, NO LEAVES HV COME, NOT EVEN GREEN BUDS
    I HV CHANGED POTTING SOIL WITH FERTILIZER IN IT ABOUT 5 WEEKS AGO. NO RESULTS YET

I WATER IT MIN. ONCE A WEEK
    I USE MIRACLE GRO ONCE EVERY 2 WEEKS

PLS ADVISE WHAT SHUD I DO TO GET CURRY LEAF PLANT STARTS GROWING AGAIN

OUR DAY TIME TEMP ARE AROUND 75 TO 80 DEGREE F IN JUNE

IS MY CURREY LEAF PLANT DEAD? I HOPE NOT
    IT WAS GROWING LAST YEAR

SHUD I WATER MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK?
    PLS HELP/ADVISE ME SOON

THNKS

SHIV
    NORTHERN NEW JERSEY, USA
    e-mail:sardacss@gmail.com
    6-6-12

• aaaaaaaa
    11 years ago

Sorry, may be it is dead, Shiv!!

Just scratch small area with your nail, on the stem and check if it is still green and has some life?

Anna

• ummh
    11 years ago

My plant is on its way to die it has those black spots all over tried to treat a lot, nothing works. I want to start all over again hence looking for seeds. Anyone who can spare some seeds please , it would be really nice of you. I will try to get your part of trade or I can send SASE. Thanks in advance.

• juku
    11 years ago

Hi Shiv,
    I live in about the same zone and keep my curry leafs about the same way ( indoor from Oct to Apr). Your problem seems to cause by you not waterng it when indoor. The best regiment I have learned is to provide them with lights and monthly fertilizer and really good drainage while indoor. How often should you water? I rely on a moisture meter for that, but I noticed they need water every 2 weeks.
    My plants are doing well with tons of new growth in my raised beds. I have 23 plants with 10 small, 6 of 4'+ tall, and the rest in between. I lost 8 baby plants due to frost and the rest lost of leaves (lol) due to frost. I vowed to never take them out before jun 10 from now on.

Hope my info. help
    Juku.apresto@gmail.com

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Try this procedure for handling and planting seed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na9XeH2Cicg

He says you can't propagate from cuttings, but I'm sure I know people who have done just that. Whether or not a cutting will be viable probably depends heavily on what stage of growth the cutting is at.

This guy is growing his curry leaf plants outside so they are getting pretty durn huge - but his pruning advice would be germane to growing in containers as well. I know I would not feel comfortable pruning as drastically as he does, but it appears to be the best thing for the plant given that you do it at the right time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E6b-0UL2bU

• Sunita Nomula
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Shiv I have the same problem like your plant, mine is 10 years old all the leaves are gone no new growth, I don't know if it is dead or live. What happened to your plant did it survive? Please let me know what to do pleaseeee

• SW (Sydney, USDA 10b)
    4 years ago

Sunita, is it a fully grown tree in the ground or is it in a pot? Dead wood will be brittle and snap off, otherwise it should be quite fibrous and bendy.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner