Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joycrick

Drumsticks from Moringa

joycrick
17 years ago

I have a moringa tree that is over a year old. It flowers, vut so far has never produced seed pods. The seed pods are the drumsticks everyone says is so delicious, right?

How do I get it to produce pods?

Joyce

Comments (32)

• chaman
    17 years ago

It may be due to lack of pollinators.See if there is enough of them around the flowers of your tree.

• chaman
    17 years ago

Joyce,
    I am growing dwarf Moringa.It did flower first year but no fruits.This year which is the fourth year after planting it produced enough pods for us to use.
    Just wait for couple of years.Hopefully you will get good results.

• mollymia
    16 years ago

chaman,
    Where did you get dwarf moringa? I am trying to raise moringa from seeds. I am wondering if they would ever germinate.

• chaman
    16 years ago

Hi mollymia,

I bought the seeds from Horti nursery which is located in India.
    Seeds are available from echonet.org.

• psoubhik
    16 years ago

Chaman,

I can see that you are in Zone 7. Is the Moringa tree ina container or outside ? Does the Moringa survive the winter in Zone 7 ?

• chaman
    16 years ago

Moringa plants are in large pots.I take the pots inside the house and keep at the warm place.Moringa won't survive the winter out door in zone7.
    Moringa I have is a small shrub kind.This was developed by University of Chennai in India.

• vijay-s
    16 years ago

Hi Chaman,
    I am new to this forum and I found this old thread about Moringa. You mentioned that you bought the seeds from Horti nursery in India. Did you buy these seeds in India or did you order it from here? I looked at echonet.org but they are not offering seeds for this plant. If you know any other source for seeds, please let me know. Can you buy drumsticks from an indian grocery store and use seeds from the drumsitck to start a new plant?

• chaman
    16 years ago

Vjay, I ordered the seeds from here.You may try to grow the seeds from drum sticks bought from grocery store.Select the hard enough seeds and remove the green coat from the seed.I have germinated green seeds from Valor-Papadi but not from Moringa.
    Google for the seed info.Your another chance is to look in online ebay store.

• vijay-s
    16 years ago

Chaman,
    Thank you for the tip. I checked echonet.org again and found they ARE offering two types of moringa seeds and I oredered them both. Haven't received them yet but I will post my progress. I have tried twice to germinate valor seeds this year and so far it has not worked. First time planted seeds in the seed germinatig mix, they have not germinated for about 28 days and there are white fungus spots where the seeds shoud have been, so I think they are gone. Second time I soaked seeds in water for two days and then planted it; it's been about 10 days without any success. Do you have other suggestions?

• chaman
    16 years ago

I have posted Moringa plant earlier.I am posting it here too.

{{gwi:388697}}

• vijay-s
    16 years ago

I have seen that posting and it inspired me to try to grow moringa from seeds. In my last post I was refering to my unsuccessful attempts at germinating Valor-Papdi seeds that I have from India. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

• chaman
    16 years ago

You may GOOGLE for more help.

• rainbow_2007
    16 years ago

vijay-s, I soaked the papdi seeds for 24 hours and planted in the jiffy seed starting mix. It's been a week and i see 1 sprouting out of 12 i planted. It's been cold here the last week i think they probably need to be in 70deg. like the eggplants. Try to put the tray on top of your refrigerator or heater for a few hours. Good Luck.

• chaman
    16 years ago

Vijay,
    You are in zone 5 which will make it difficult to germinate valor-papadi seeds at this time.It is good to wait till after Mother's day.Plant seeds directly in garden soil in last week of May.Seeds will germinate in 10 to 15 days.

• vijay-s
    16 years ago

rainbow 2007,
    I have planted about 30 seeds and only one came up. Half the seeds were soaked in water for two days as I mentioned earlier. May be I should soak it only for 24 hours or try soaking it in hydrogen peroxide to see if it will help.

I planted bitter melon seeds in Jiffy pellets and none has sprouted yet; come to think of it I don't think I have had much success with Jiffy media in previous years.

Chaman,
    Last year I planted valor seeds directly in the ground near Memorial Day weekend, they came up and grew wild taking over my tomatoes, turia, eggplants etc... but there were no valor beans. So I thought I will get a jump start by starting seeds indoor.

• chaman
    16 years ago

One of the reasons (perhaps only reason) is that there must be too much N (nitrogen) in the soil that will induce only vegetative growth for valor beans.I had similar problem few years ago.
    Valor is a viney plant,needs more space to grow.It is better to provide enough space for this plant.If the valor seeds you have are short day kind it will not help starting seeds earlier.
    Too much Nitrogen can be stabilised by planting corn at the place valor was planted a year earlier.Corn is a good consumer of Nitrogen.Valor adds nitrogen to the soil.
    All the legumes add Nitrogen to the soil.

• aaaaaa_gardner
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I sow the Drumstick seeds in early April 08(indoor) and finally I saw one sprout yesterday!!! For 10 seeds only one sprout though. Just FYI. However, bitter melonÂstill waiting to germinate.

Thanks

• vijay-s
    15 years ago

I planted my moringa seeds about two weeks ago and so far none has sprouted. Out of 12 bitter melon seeds, only two sprouted and they were started about a month ago.

• chaman
    15 years ago

aaaaaa_gardner and Vijay,

It is too early at this time to plant moringa and bitter melon seeds in zone 6 and 5.Sow these seeds after Mother's day week end.They can be sprouted in door at about 80 deg. F.

• vijay-s
    15 years ago

After five weeks one of my moringa seeds has sprouted. Should I transfer it to its permanent pot(10"- 12") or a 6" pot and then transfer it to a larger pot later on.

• chaman
    15 years ago

Transfer it in 6" pot now and in a larger pot next year.It will develop good size of root by that time.Keep it in a warmer place in the house during winter.Water very conservatively.Too much water will kill the plant in absence of hot weather like temperatures.

• paulgm
    15 years ago

hello, you have almost a pharmacy in your garden with that tree.
    Read about Moringa in the website

www.avrdc.org

good luck

Paulgm

• chaman
    15 years ago

Thanks Paulgm for pointing out medicinal uses of Moringa plant.Two important uses that stand out are it's Calcium content and the help in producing the milk for breast feeding mothers.Some people call it a mother's best friend.

• sankri
    15 years ago

Greetings to all,
    I was simply amazed, planting Moringa from seeds.... and planted in a pot.....Never knew, this can be done.....
    I am from Malaysia, and I have planted my Moringa, from a branch of an old Moringa tree, it is about 6 months old now... It is survivng....No flowers yet..

• chaman
    13 years ago

The pic in my comment posted above in this thread is being used without my permission by a seed co.I brought this to the notice of GW . Garden web replied to me that they will look into the matter and some one will be in touch with me. So far I have not heard from GW. Any help please.

• chaman
    13 years ago

Finally the co. responded to remove my Moringa pic. from tomorrow.Let us what happens now on.

• beachbum830_ymail_com
    13 years ago

Hello everyone! I live in a coastal area zone 7 with sandy soil. Recently, I purchased a bodywash containing Moringa; I had never heard of it so I did some research and am fascinated by this plant. I am also a pharmacist and find all of the benefits of this plant simply amazing. I would love have a plant but am wondering if it will grow & bloom in pots. Can I plant the seeds in the pots to leave outside in the summer and bring indoors in the winter? I have never had much luck growing anything from seeds so any help I can receive will be greatly appreciated (what I really need is 'Moringa for Dummies'). Thank you so very much.

• joycrick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Echo site offers lots of Moringa products: books, seeds, lotions, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to ECHO site

• scottteng
    11 years ago

Seeds are cheaper from the health food folks that sell them for eating than they are from the seed suppliers.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Just an update...

Sadly, ECHO no longer sells Moringa. They have decided to discontinue all seed sales starting this year. That is really a shame, I've been growing their Moringa seeds for about 10 years, and have always had excellent germination.

Does anyone know another source in the U.S.?

• kandhi
    10 years ago

try seedsofindia.com, they see moringa plant seeds too

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I got my seeds on Ebay, and 6 out of 9 sprouted in 4 days. I did direct sow them into soil, and they are on a drip system. It is HOT here, and the soil is decomposed granite AKA sandy! It drains well. I soaked half for a couple days, and the others got no soak. They sprouted anyway!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!