Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

Asian yard long ??????

flowersandthings
19 years ago

What is yard lonb bean like ??????? What is its flavor compared to regular beans ??????

Comments (14)

• Violet_Z6
    19 years ago

Do a search at this form on Yard Long Beans aka Asparagus Beans, they'be been discussed extensively here.

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I searched and found alot of info on growing them but not on taste or flavor etc....... I just want to know if they tatse good enough for me to try them..... my veggie garden is limited.... making notes this year...... Do they taste like asparagus or beans ?????? I have mostly flowers and lots of shade and woodland...... select carefully before adding veggies...... not as carefull y before adding flowers :) lots !!!!!

• Shantihhh
    19 years ago

They taste a bit like asparagus crossed with beans. I prefer the Purple Yardlong Beans as they are very sweet and pretty!

YES, they very much worth growing, but they do take 90-120 days.

Mary-Anne

• Violet_Z6
    19 years ago

They taste like beans. I personally don't detect much asparagus flavor.... "similar to but not as sweet as that of a green bean, with hints of its black-eyed-pea lineage"

Here is a link that might be useful: Flavor of Yard Long Beans

• girlgroupgirl
    19 years ago

They are very "Beany" in flavor. A more intense bean flavor. I happen to LOVE them (I really like beans). I think the stronger flavor is necessary if you are saucing them with a very flavorful asian sauce (black bean is good). I make a sauce of tamari, water, thickner, thai roasted chilli paste and a little sesame oil and put this on them. YUM!!!

GGG

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    19 years ago

Definitely a "Black-eyed Pea" flavour to me.....

• marge4838
    19 years ago

I know the Japanese Beetles don't like the flavor. They are all over my other green beans, not a one on the yard longs. That's good enough for me! Been harvesting bush beans for a while already, not one bean on the yard long yet. The ants seem to LOVE the flowers tho, there's an ant on every flower??????

• adrianag
    19 years ago

They taste like a very good, very green bean. Yummy - I will eat these over conventional green beans any day. As a bonus, they are stringless if you harvest when they are pencil-thin.

• earl
    19 years ago

My Loooong Beans are starting to come in. Anyone got any recipes? A local Chinese resturant serves them and they taste great. Some of the detectable ingredients: soy sauce, sesame oil, onion, ginger. So how would you cook them with these ingredients?

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Earl...... I think you sautee the ingredients...... onion and ginger..... lightly in the sesame oil..... then when the skillet is hot pour in the green beans..... cover and steam untill beans are tender dress with soy sauce at the end and cornstarch is optional to thicken the sauce..... otherwise serve with the sauce that is remaining in pan......

• Shantihhh
    19 years ago

Stir fry NEVER steam them! Use peanut oil, garlic, black bean, and even some ground lean pork or Lapchong is nice with them. I also use them in Thai dry curries, but never steam or overcook them.

Mary-Anne

• Violet_Z6
    19 years ago

Earl, recipes for you

Here is a link that might be useful: here

• donna_loomis
    19 years ago

I don't think they tast a bit like asparagus. But they are very good. If you are looking for a bean that truly does taste a bit like asparagus, try the winged bean, Psophocarpus tetragonolobus. All parts of this plant are edible. I've only eaten the beans, though, and when picked young and small they are a tasty tidbit.

Here is a link that might be useful: winged bean

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

Interesting point on the japanese beetles.

Sponsored