Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maupin_gw

Thai Green Pea Eggplant

maupin
19 years ago

Well, way back in April I posted here that my Thai Green Pea Eggplant did not germinate. Turns out three weeks later it did (what an incredibly slow starter).

I planted it and it shot up like a weed. It was 7 feet tall in July, but bore no flowers. August 1, no flowers. Just as I was preparing to post again bemoaning my Thai Green Pea Eggplant problems, flowers everywhere!

These 3 plants are now all over 8 feet tall with hundreds of little green buds!

My next question: How can you tell when they're ripe?

Comments (17)

• phivang
    19 years ago

They go from light green to slightly yellow when ripe. I believe you do not use them when they are ripe, but rather pick them when they're fully grown and develop a very light green color, they should be crisp to the bite and slightly bitter or tart in taste, and the seeds crisp but soft. They are used in Thai curry. The Vietnamese pickle the larger version or eat them raw. If the seeds are dark and somewhat tough, they're too ripe.

• robbins
    19 years ago

I grew them last year - 10 feet tall and covered with blooms - unfortunately it seems that they won't produce until the second year. For those growing in less temperate areas that means taking cuttings in the fall, wintering them over and planting out the next spring. Wish I'd known that before we tilled the whole thing under. If you have any extra cuttings I'd love to get some!

• Shantihhh
    19 years ago

Don't let them over rippen as they become unbearably bitter. Pick when young-then they are delightful in Thai curries IMHO. Use when just picked!

Mary-Anne

• maupin
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Robbins--I don't understand. How can taking cuttings yield in year two? I'm Zone 6.

• robbins
    19 years ago

Sorry - forgot to check back here. The deal is you need to take cuttings, root them, winter them over in a green house or inside your house, then plant out next year. When they begin growing next year it is best to keep them wacked back to three or four feet to force them to bush more than just grow tall. They will then begin blooming and set fruit.
    I never did this because I didn't get the info until I'd already tilled mine under. So seriously, if you get any cuttngs started I'd love to get a couple from you.
    Wish some of this information had been included in the seed catalog blurb, but they had never grown it.
    Let me know how it all turns out.
    Robbins

• Shantihhh
    19 years ago

This small pea eggplant must be very fresh or it will be bitter. It is used in Thai curries.

Where did you find them?

Mary-Anne
    SF Bay Area

• robbins
    19 years ago

Mary-Anne
    The seed is sold in the Baker Creek catalog.

• maupin
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Update--I have small fruit berries on my plants now--hope to be able topick them in about a week.

• leaveswave
    19 years ago

I'm in zone 4, planted small plants from the local farmer's market kinda late this spring and we have fruit to eat. Makin' a nice Thai green curry tonight--yum!

I didn't think there were different varities... I recommend y'all grow the ones that you don't have to winter over, unless you like the effort, of course.

• Eggo
    19 years ago

Robbins,
    Yes..I think it was my post a while back that had something to do about the pea eggplant. I recommended to those folks in cooler climate that may not be getting any fruits due to a much earlier winter than someone like me in SoCal, to take a cutting of a mature pea eggplant, root them, overwinter them and plant it out next spring.
    There aren't many varieties of pea eggplant out there, all I know of is of a thornless variety besides that everything else is much the same. Hope that cleared up the confusion.

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

yes... most helpful... thank you for sharing the info

• honora
    17 years ago

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to freeze pea eggplants?

Thank you

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

honora,

I'd imagine it would be similar to the process of freezing other eggplant varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freezing Eggplant

• hammerwrath
    15 years ago

Both the common green eggplant and the small eggplant (pea aubergine) should be picked when they are light greenish colour.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eggplant

• jairadhe
    15 years ago

I checked in Baker Creek catalog. I couldn't find the seeds. Probably because the thread was started in '04. Now it is '09.

I would like to get the seeds for the same. If anyone of you have it pls let me know.

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    10 years ago

Does anybody know where I get seeds for Thai Green Pea Eggplant? I plan to grow next spring. Thanks in advance

JIMMY

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio