Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivien_gw

Curry Plant

vivien
21 years ago

Not sure if I'm in the right forum, but here it goes.

Where I live, it is almost impossible to get any of these Does anyone know if the curry plant is available in seed, and suggest an online store? Thanks in advance.

Comments (45)

• roger_nr_2
    21 years ago

hi Vivien
    I wonder if it is the indian curryherb?

Roger Dahlstrom

• adrianag
    21 years ago

Have you tried Richter's Herbs?

Here is a link that might be useful: Richter's Herbs

• vivien
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Yes, Roger, the Indian curry herb was what I meant. I like curry dishes but they never taste as good with the leaves.

Adriana, I found it. How easy. Thanks!!!

• davissue_zone9
    21 years ago

wait a minute- the plant that is used for curry is Murraya koenigii a tropical plant. The helichrysum is called curry plant because it SMELLS like curry, but is not the plant whose leaves are sold for making curry.

• agat
    21 years ago

Davissue is absolutely right. Curry plant and Murraya koenigii, commonly known as Curry-Leaf Tree and totally different. I grow both of them. The leaves from Curry-Leaf tree are used in many Indian dishes.

• vivien
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks all for feedback. I made a search on Murraya koenigii and found out that this topic has already been discussed in the GardenWeb since 1997! Link below if you happen to share the interest in this topic. There are a few online stores selling the seeds too. Thanks again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread in the Source forum

• tropicalparadise
    21 years ago

Murraya koenigii sets seeds. My aunt's plants has quite a few.

• Annette_Fernandez
    21 years ago

The curry plant does not give seeds, then given out once a week, small plants around the mother plant. You have to divide them.

• tropicalparadise
    21 years ago

there are fruits as well. the tree flowers when it's mature and these turn into a fruit with a seed each. but you can use the small plants that sprout around the parent of course.

• Rosie_WA
    21 years ago

You are right tropicalparadise, the black fruit contains seeds that can be planted out easily. Every time you take a shoot from the mother plant, you are encouraging more water shoots and this is not preferable as it takes energy away from the growth of the mother plant..I have at least 30 trees in pots at my place, and none give off suckers because if on the rare occasion that it did, I'd cut it off rather than dig around the roots causing damage.

• sokkappa
    21 years ago

Were you able to locate a source for the curry leaf tree -Murraya koenegii which is quite different from the curry plant herb (helychrisum) which is not a tree. If you know a source please let me know. I have been searching unsuccessfully for a long time.

• pajaritomt
    21 years ago

I, too, am looking for a source of Curry Tree (Murraya koenigii). Does anyone know of a source for the tree, or seeds for the tree? I am not looking for Curry Plant.

• Violet_Z6
    21 years ago

pajaritomt,

Here is a source for you:

Bhatia Nurseries
    20 West 38th Street (3rd Floor)
    New York, NY 10018
    Phone (212) 221-7040 Fax (212) 221-7132

naribhatia@bhatia-nurseries.com or nari@pclinkcorp.com

• wetdancer
    20 years ago

howdy yalls

Annette says that the curry plant does not give seeds

so there is no way to save it's seeds? i live in DC and it is gettin chilly, what can i do? bring it inside? or just let it return to the earth...

thank you,
    *stephanie

• Violet_Z6
    20 years ago

Stephanie,

If you left it outside and it would definitely die, then there's no reason you can't bring it inside to try to overwinter it. Cut down on the water and put it in a bright location. It may even eventually loose all it's leaves. But in the spring/late spring, when day and night time temperatures are warm enough, bring it ouside again, you have a good chance of it coming back bigger and better!

• chaman
    20 years ago

It is easy to grow Murraya Koenigii plants from seeds. Seeds mature during autumn. When you see few purple seeds pick them up along with other green seeds. Remove the green peel (covering the seed ) gently by scoring outer cover. .Plant the seed ( which is without outer cover ) in potting soil mixed with river sand and maintain the temperature about 80-90 degree F.

Chaman

• Aubergine Texiana
    20 years ago

When I took an indian cooking class they refered to them as neem leaves... is this the same thing? I /really/ want to get some. None of my cooking is really that good without it and now I no longer live in a city...so no indian grocery.

Ana

• Violet_Z6
    20 years ago

Ana,

They are not the same. While the common names may be similar, they are entirely different plants.

Neem leaves are sometimes referred to as 'sweet curry leaves'. The botanical/scientific/Latin name for neem tree is Azadirachta Indica, which is a different plant than Murraya Koenigii.

Here are sources for Azadirachta Indica:

Pacific Tropical Gardens

Ecolage

Quail Roost Nursery

• chaman
    20 years ago

Ana53:

Neem available in Asian grocery stores is Mithi (sweet)neem which is Murraya koenigii. Azadirachta Indica is known as kadavi (bitter )neem. Murraya koenigii is shrub compared to Azadirachta Indica which is full size tree.

chaman

• geeta04
    19 years ago

Hi,
    I have 2 1/2 feet tall curry leaf plant recently I transplanted into bigger pot and it was fine for one week but now the leaves and the branches are droopy and the tip of the plnat does not even grow. Can anyone please help my curry leaf plant grow tall make it purkup and healthy again.

• woori
    19 years ago

Hi Geeta04,
    It could be a number of things. Too much or too little water or the potting mix might not suit. Is it still in the same position as before or have you brought it indoors? We need more information. You may have disturbed the roots a little too much or it simply might need some more water.

Woori

• SawkDanny
    19 years ago

Hi Geeta04,

It happend to me too last year probably it does not like any root disturbing.

But this year grown fron the seeds. Yes they have seeds and your will get it after atleast years when it matures. Now I have 300 plants from the seeds thanks to Chaman. He help me a lot with the details. I did one thing from my idea too, I put the all the peeled seeds in a moist paper towel for 2 days in a warm place & when I saw root coming out. I sow them is moist soil 1/4 inch deep in a 4 inch deep tray. They just came out in 7-10 days! I will be transplanting them soon in a my farm house.

• varshal
    19 years ago

Wow! thats too many plants...great..I had one but died last winter!

• ani_t
    19 years ago

I bought another set of curry plants from a hawaiin nursery. I would like to know what kind of potting mix I need to grow my precious plants... I really dont want to lose it again.

I understand there are different varieties of curry leaf plants. One classification I've read about here is the leaf size-medium, small and large. The other seems to be the method of propagation- by shoots and by seeds. Which of these is the valid classification ?

Is there one whose leaves are darker than the others ?
    Where can I buy all the three varieties ? I am looking for that hard to find taste of fresh curry leaves from India. I do not have anything to trade (I've just started growing things) but will gladly pay for it if any of you are willing to sell your plants...
    Thanks
    Ani

• karus
    19 years ago

Ani,
    The most common variety used for cooking, in India is the one which propogates by stem cutting method. This is really easy to grow. All you need to do is plant a stem in a pot and it grows. It's fairly hardy, but you need to be careful in winter.
    The other variety is the seed one which grows into a tree and is the bitter neem plant. This is not used for cooking but has medicinal uses.
    I think Chaman has given a good distinction between the two.

• Shantihhh
    19 years ago

Does anyone know a source for Murraya koenigii in the San Francisco Bay Area? I only have found LA and San Diego sources and they want close to $100 including shipping for 1 tree.

Mary-Anne

• bumblebees_mom
    19 years ago

How big of a tree are you looking for? If you don't mind starting off with a smaller sized one your choices are:
    Logee's
    Well Sweep
    Pacific Tropical Gardens

These start off about 3-5".

• bishakha_b
    19 years ago

Shantihhh,

I was at Yamagamis in Cupertino about 7-8 weeks ago, and they had gigantic murraya koenigii trees in 15 gallon containers for $199. The trees were 12-15 ft tall, lots of suckers at the base, pretty thick trunk caliper.

If you can spend that kind of money, that would be a good choice.

/blue

• sugzter
    19 years ago

Internet Sources:
    www.logees.com
    http://www.neemtreefarms.com/trees

Real Stores in S. Cal
    1. Patel Store
    (714) 826-3960
    2771 W Lincoln Ave
    Anaheim, CA 92801

2. San Gabriel Nursery & Florist
    http://www.sgnursery.com/
    632 S. San Gabriel Boulevard, San Gabriel, CA 91776
    STORE HOURS: Now open daily 7 days a week 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
    PHONE: (626) 286-3782 and (626) 286-0787 -- FAX: (626) 286-0047

• zambesi
    18 years ago

A word of Caution- Murraya koenigii'-- Is in the Rutaceae family A Citrus relative and is restricted to Citrus Growing States. It is invasive in warm climates,it can be propagated easily from roots, the black fruits are very sweet and tasty.There are some really fabulous German recipes available on the Web. Alan. asmith2@tampabay,rr,com

• lizanne1
    18 years ago

I have a curry plant and it has three branches which flowered last month and now are full of berries/seeds. The berries are getting large, though still green. I have read this wonderful forum on how to grow from seeds, but I do not know when to pick the berries. Should I wait until they turn red. The pot with the 3 foot plant faces the west and I am afraid that in this hot Arizona sun the berries might dry out. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.
    Lizanne1

• chaman
    18 years ago

Wait till you see few berries show the sign of ripening. You will see some of the berries changing color from green to reddish or reddish purple.At this time majority berries will be green.Pick up all the berries and use for sowing right away after remvoing the seed cover as I have mentioned in one of the postings above.Seeds tend to lose viablity once they dry.

Chiman

• lizanne1
    18 years ago

Thanks Chaman, I do appreciate your info. Also, thanks to Eureka, for all the helpful hints. I am so excited about this whole project.
    Lizanne1

• Eggo
    18 years ago

interesting info. It looks like mine is the regular one. It seems to have very bronze colored leaf and not much green to look at. Its about 6ft tall now with constant pruning. Seems like an easy plant to grow in Southern California. There's a bunch of berries but its far from ripening.

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

How are your trees growing for you now?

• vidnand
    18 years ago

Hi All,
    I'm looking for some murraya koenigii plants or seeds. I got some from Viji(Thanks a lot viji!) But they all died few weeks back. It will be great if somebody can give me some seeds or plants.

Thanks

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

vid_nand,

Please go to the first page of this forum, look just above the first post and click on the Exchanges link. Then post your request there. It is not necessary to spam the forum with multiple identical posts.

• hendrik
    18 years ago

Aloha from Hawaii,

I need to get Curry leaf seeds(Murraya Koenigii)for my recipies of Indinesian cooking.
    Who can help me?

• chaman
    18 years ago

Contact Jonathan Yee at www.kavaforum.org. or www.kavafestival.org.I am sure you find some help from him.

• gmonno
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    it's the first post I put here, have encountered this forum looking for Curry leaf seeds(Murraya Koenigii) that I would like to try to grow.
    Do anyone have any suggestion about where to have/buy these seeds?

Thanks
    giuseppe

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

giuseppe,

Did you take the time to read this thread? I believe you'll find your answers...

;)

• jestervii
    17 years ago

Well I originally started out to ask how do you harvest the little yellow balls at the top of my curry plant. As I read the posts I learned to my surprise and dismay, the "curry plant" or helichrysum in my herb garden is a fake. What a let down. So now after waiting months for it to finally do something, I learn that I needed a curry leaf plant instead...so what can I do with my beautiful helichrysum? Anything? Aside from smell it and dream of adding it's aroma into my food?

Thanks for your help.
    -Derek

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

Derek,

Always best to sick with full Latin names so you exactly know what plant you're getting.

There are many different varieties of Helichrysum .

I assume that what you are referring to is Helichrysum italicum.

Technically - it is perfectly edible. It's just that it can be too easily assumed by those who don't know too much about cooking and spices that this is the origin of "curry" in curried dishes. It's more of an aromatic herb than a spice used to impart flavor. I would chalk it up to a learning experience and use it as garnish only.

• mtirumal
    17 years ago

Hi, if some one has baby curry leaf plant, could you please send me one.

thanks

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

mtirumal,

Please ask at the Plant Exchange Forum:

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Exchange Forum

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!