Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoodat_gw

First Chinese greens for fall

hoodat
13 years ago

I just planted my kailaan (Chinese brocoli) It's still a bit early. Here in San Diego we stil have the hottest part of the year ahead of us. As soon as the first of it breaks ground I will follow up with red mustard. i suppose I should have planted it first. It's more heat tolerant but I love the taste of kailaan. I have plenty of seeds so if this planting fails I can try another later on when the ground cools.

Comments (7)

• hoodat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My kailaan is alreay up and growing. I saw the first sprouts yesterday. I gave them a light BT spray as a precaution in case there are some small caterpillars around. These guys are really fast to sprout.

• bluebirdie
    13 years ago

You may have done it just right by sowing it early. Gai Lang usually takes much longer to sprout when I sow in October. I might try to sow earlier this year.

I wonder if the young Gai Lang would bolt if weather is still too warm. Please keep us posted on the progress.

• hoodat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We're still pretty warm here in September but if it's on schedule (according to the literature) it should put out the first sprouts in mid October. By then the weather should be just right.

• hoodat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My red mustard is also breaking ground. If all goes well I should have a good Fall garden this year. Next stop tai jiji (flowering garlic chives)

• guavalane
    13 years ago

I had a very poor Gai Lan season last winter, I think it's because I started late. Thank you for the reminder I'm starting earlier too. Did you direct sow? How many days did it take to germinate?
    I ordered some Extra Dwarf Choy Sum from Evergreen, so it will be my next project.

• digit
    13 years ago

I've been succession planting bok choy thru the last 3 weeks and will continue for a couple more weeks. Fun Jen should be in there too and, certainly, some Asian mustard.

One thing I've found is that flea beetle pressure is really low during the late summer and fall.

The bok choy and such don't usually have much trouble from cabbage worms. But, I wish the potato bugs would leave the eggplant the heck alone!!

Steve

• hoodat
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I normally direct sow almost all of my Chinese greens. The kailaan and red mustard were both up in less than a week. I put a heavy side dressing about four inches away from the row with organic 5-3-3 to get them growing fast. That seems to be the ticket for sweet and tender Chinese greens. Keep them moving.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?