Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing bitter gourd.

Posted by llaz z6 ma (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 20:56

Finally a bumper crop of bitter gourds this year. I'd like to save some for winter eating. I've seen them for sale in the frozen food section of Asian markets. Should they be blanched first or any other recommendations. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing bitter gourd.

Blanching is best for general nutritional value, though it will sharply reduce the amount of vitamin C. Of course defrosted bitter melon won't have the same crunch or texture, but it still cooks up quite well, especially when fried.

o

I read one website where the bitter gourd was sliced thinly before freezing. Has anyone compared freezing intact versus cut up ones? Thanks for your input in advance. I am saving them for my son's beer making as a substitute for hops.

o

" I am saving them for my son's beer making as a substitute for hops."

An interesting idea. For that application, it might work better if the bitter melon were dehydrated raw, to preserve flavor which might otherwise be lost in blanching & freezing. You might also try using the leaves instead. Some of our Filipino friends actually prefer the flavor of the young leaves & vine tips to that of the fruit, they will gleefully trim my vines when they begin to outgrow the trellis.

I've blanched & frozen slices of bitter melon by freezing them in a single layer on cookie sheets, then quickly vacuum sealing the frozen pieces. This is a good method if you intend to use small quantities. You can also freeze them in larger quantities like any other vegetable, but I still recommend vacuum sealing, because bitter melon gets freezer burn very quickly.

The frozen bitter melon will not be as crisp as when fresh, but since DW uses them in an egg dish or in soup, that really doesn't matter. Rapid cooling after blanching is especially important for bitter melon, to preserve as much of the texture as possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here