Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mingtea

fun things to grow in arizona

mingtea
18 years ago

well,

i'm moving from the glorious PNW to the blasted desert. i'm a little excited by the challenge of growing in a new environment (although not THAT much). what sorts of fruits can i grow in tucson without watering ever other minute of the day?

-ming

Comments (4)

• dirt_dew
    18 years ago

MingTea
    Welcome to Arizona! (when you get here)
    FYI - We have a forum on Gardenweb for Gardening in Arizona. I am in Phx but others in Tucson will be happy to give you help for growing in that area.
    Be prepared to change some of the rules for gardening. You can adapt quickly if you don't fight it.
    Plant some Hollyhocks when you get here.
    Happy Gardening in Arizona!

• baci
    18 years ago

Here is a site that discusses some fruits for your new area. You will probably need low chill varieties for fruit trees.

http://ag.arizona.edu/gardening/news/articles/18.html

I did not look at everything, but pomegranates are very heat tolerant, & easy to start from cutting &/or seed. I have also heard of other desert growers growing pit fruits. I have also seen mango, figs, & citrus grown in the desert. The large date plantations in CA are in the desert. I know these are large trees, but these are just examples.

There are also some melons that are more drought tolerant. I have not grown them, but here are a few:

http://www.nativeseeds.org/v2/cat.php?catID=28

The California Rare Fruit Growers has a chapter in your state. They have a seed bank with some interesting seeds.

Also, if you ever get the inclination to look into hydro, some of the asian herbs & greens seem to do well hydroponically, & would probably do well in a small pond. In the CA deserts, aquaponics is becoming more popular.

By the way, my water mimosa is doing well & putting out new leaves. Thanks again for the ID Â I just need to figure out how to eat it.

• delta13sales_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Visit ARIZONA GROW DEPOT in Tucson, AZ featuring Delta 13 Hydroponics. DELTA 13 HYROPONICS has been building and designing hydroponic and advanced soil systems for the past six years as a concealed personal company to large horticulture industries. We are now eager to bring our skills, knowledge, expertise and know-how to the indoor grow community. WE PROMISE YOU THAT WE WILL NEVER USE SUBSTANDARD PARTS OR LOOSE SIGHT OF OUR GOAL; THAT IS TO PUSH THE EDGE IN HYDROPONIC AND SOIL TECHNOLOGY. OUR ONLY OBJECTIVE IS TO BE THE BEST, TO PRODUCE THE BEST FOR YOU AND GUIDE THE WAY FOR ALL OTHER IN QUALITY AND INNOVATION.

Arizona Grow Depot / DELTA 13 HYDROPONICS
    1016 East Pennsylvania Street, Suite 302
    Tucson, Arizona. 85701
    Customer Service and Billing: 1-626-290-6196 Please visit our website at www.arizonagrowdepot.com for information about our company!

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Grow Depot Official Site

• tracydr
    12 years ago

The fun thing about AZ is that you can grow year round. Try some citrus, figs and pomegranate. Hibiscus and bougainvillea are very hardy, as are most melons.
    Will you have flood irrigation? Mesa, Gilbert and some other areas have lots of cheap irrigation, which really makes your options interesting.
    I haven't tried papaya, mango or guava because we're moving in a couple of years but some people have success with these. There is a tropical store in Phoenix where you can get all of these fruit trees, plus passifloras.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner