Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fliptx

Anyone grow Bau Sin mustard?

fliptx
17 years ago

I read a description of Bau Sin mustard in the Seeds of Change catalogue that sounded really delicious. Agrohaitai and Evergreen Seeds also offer seeds for Bau Sin, although I'm not really sure if they're all the same thing. Has anyone grown it? If so, can you describe it?

Comments (8)

• digit
    17 years ago

Fliptx, this looks like the twisted stem mustard we've grown but I didn't buy the seeds under the name, Bau Sin.

I found it quite coarse but, as usual with the mustards, enjoyed eating the flowering stems.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Steve

• npthaskell
    17 years ago

I've grown some from WGS (which may be the actual source for Seeds of Change). So far, it has not headed up (sowings late spring, late summer). I will try a fall sowing soon.

The WGS catalog claims it is mild, but it is too hot for me when raw. The stems (petiole, central vein) are large; a brief hit of crispy sweet, then a hot aftertaste when raw. Leaf and stem are sweet when briefly steamed, with just a tingle of residual heat (not too hot for me)

> this looks like the twisted stem mustard...

Are you refering to "horned mustard" (which could be considered as some sort of "twisted" petiole/vein), or to some variety whose bolting stems form a corkscrew? I seem to recall reading a cataog description of a corkscrew bolter, but I don't recall which one. Then there are bumpy stem mustards (which I have yet to grow) that are Mustard's answer to Kohlrabi; these are another beast entirely. Back to "horned mustards"; I could easily imagine that these are transitional forms between heading and looseleaf mustards.

I have tried "horned mustard" from WGS. Plants from a winter sowing (harvested during spring) yielded mild and sweet leaves (and bolting stems) with just a mild tingle of heat when raw. Leaves from late spring and summer sowings were too hot for me when raw, but OK after short steaming. The late summer sowing hasn't bolted yet. Bolting stems from the spring sowing were too hot at the flowering end, but mild and sweet from region closest to the roots (when raw). Munching from the thick end starts sweet and mild, then the mouth starts burning about midway up. Bolting stems from the winter sowing were mild and sweet throughout. The winter sowing formed small horns, horns were more subtle for the spring and summer sowings; I was disappointed in the horn size from all sowings so far. I will start a Fall sowing soon.

Bolting stems from Bau Sin and horned mustard were usually straight, but sometimes with a mild corkscrew. I got small straight to corkscrew bolts from a fall sowing of "Nan-fong" from Evergreen. I don't recall any corkscrews from Osaka Purple. Drat! I can't remember that corkscrewer, I've just rechecked the websites of Evergreen, Kitazawa & AgroHaiTai.

I assume that there are many cultivars of Bau Sin, so that Seeds of Change could differ from that from Evergreen, etc. I was surfing some sites of Chinese seed companies (companies in China) last week and came across a Bau Sin cultivar with a barrel-head (like a Napa/Michelle type Chinese Cabbage) instead of the normal spherical head that resembles European cabbage or iceberg lettuce.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Garden Seeds

• fliptx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Steve and npthaskell for the replies!

I grew a couple of mustards when I was in college, but don't recall the names. I think one had "India" in the name. Both were too hot/pungent for me, and I concluded that I must not be a mustard person. But having realized there are many other mustards out there, I thought I'd give some more of them a shot. The Bau Sin sounded like a good place to start.

I'll check out WGS, too. Thanks!

• npthaskell
    17 years ago

> I concluded that I must not be a mustard person.

About 25 years ago I grew some mustard greens in Texas and didn't like them either raw or boiled. I consider that the mustard cultivars grown in the southern USA are "degenerate" versions of Oriental cultivars. This is the first year that I tried Oriental mustards, and found that I liked them if they are steamed.

> The Bau Sin sounded like a good place to start.

"Osaka Purple" may be a better choice. The petioles are thick, tender and sweet after steaming, with just a mild tingle of residual heat (much less than a daikon radish). Ditto for the leaf blade portions.

> I think one had "India" in the name.

All of the mustards discussed so far in this thread are "Indian" mustard, Brassica junecea, originating from India and East Asia. Some turnip greens, Brassica rapa, are sometimes called "mustard tendergreen" or "mustard spinach". These turnips lack large roots and are more closely related to Chinese Cabbage, Bok Choy, Mizuna, and especially the Japanese Komatsuna.

• digit
    17 years ago

Fliptx, the "twisted stem" mustard came from a local Asian market. They have carried Evergreen Seed Co. seeds so I imagine that this was the source. It may be that I've forgotten the name but remembered the description. We grew it and saved seed for a number of years.

I'm not sure about the description Wild Garden has for their Bau Sin "golden-green leaves with a trace of red veining." We get a little red veining in our mustard about this time of year. I've associated it with temperature stress. I agree that Osaka Purple is a good choice for mustards.

We grow Asian mustard each year but the bok choys are more to my liking.

Something new for us this year was Fun Jen. Kitazawa lists it as a frilly leaf bok choy while Fedco has it as Chinese Cabbage . . . I'm inclined to believe that it is one of the many bok choy varieties but what I know is that it's quick, tender and has a very pleasant taste. And, it's a very pretty green in the garden.

Steve

• fliptx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

""Osaka Purple" may be a better choice. The petioles are thick, tender and sweet after steaming, with just a mild tingle of residual heat "

That sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check that one out for sure.

"Something new for us this year was Fun Jen."

Funny you should mention that one. I just put it in my shopping cart at the Fedco seeds this morning and was about to go looking for other info on it!

• reefisher
    17 years ago

One of my all time favorite mustards is the big stem, twisted, dai gai choy, ( it all gets so confusing sometimes ) The one where they cut off the huge leaves to render mostly a gnarly stem that is very succulent and spicey. But for some reason I can not get it to consistently grow a stem that is as thick and succulent as what I can buy in local asian markets. Anyway two weeks ago I planted both the big stem and bau sin in a raised bed in my garden. This time of year is always iffy as to temps both day and night. So far the bau sin is going well and the big stem has yet to sprout. Anxious to see if the bau sin will be something that I can enjoy.

• fliptx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A year later and I'm digging up this thread...

Reefisher, how did you like the Bau Sin mustard?

I still haven't grown any. I always start out with a long list of things I want to try and then run out of space.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022