Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

(nearly) Heaven for Asian veggies

digit
16 years ago

(nearly) Heaven for Asian veggies in a difficult North American climate.

I posted a couple of pictures of our plastic tunnel earlier in the year and want you to see how it ends the growing season. We have had frost on the rooftops so it isn't going to be green here for long.

The photo isn't very good - I had to stand on our garage roof to get far enuf away but that gives you an idea of how protected this area is. There's a bed of mostly basil to the south of it and then a board fence. To the north is my 9' x 20' greenhouse.

In March, seed for Asian leaf vegetables go directly in the soil in the tunnel. Some of the plants are transplanted to the larger garden in April; those that remain reach maturity inside the tunnel while these warm-weather vines begin to grow amongst them. Then the plastic comes off.

With a few tomato cages to get them started and some baling twine to hold everything together - off the vines go! After weeks of Asian greens, lots of bitter melon, snake gourds, and luffa gourds have come out of this little structure over the last couple of months.

Steve

{{gwi:389171}}

Comments (12)

• joyfulsnowflake
    16 years ago

Can you share did you use to make the tunnel? How much material at what cost? We live in zone 4. An early frost killed all of our winter melons. A structure like this is essential for us.

• digit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Joy, I just use construction grade, 6 mill plastic on the tunnel. Because it is acked with lathe to a door frame at one end and a window frame at the other - the plastic can't be reused. And, it quickly begins to deteriorate in the sun.

The plastic on the nearby greenhouse is UV-resistant. There is a difference between the two in price but the UV-resistant will probably easily pay for itself. However, this year was the first that I've used it.

Construction plastic is terrible! I used to be able to count on it lasting at least 10 months & used it on the greenhouse as well as the tunnel. Lately, it has begun to fall apart in 3 to 4 months.

Of course, it only needs to last 3 months if I only use it in the Spring as a temporary cover for this little hoop house or on smaller tunnels (4 footers) in the garden. But, reusable . . . it isn't.

I have never recovered the tunnel in the Autumn but rather wait until early March. I try to stop the Autumn frost with the sprinklers but that doesn't always work. But, neither did Remay row covers when I use those. My gardens are too large to cover entirely or, really, in part. I just have various protected growing structures for the beginning of the season.

Steve

• gardentrekker
    16 years ago

Steve, I have had a lot of success with using "floating row covers" on my frames. It comes in three thicknesses, and I have found the middle one works very well. The thick kind is good to prevent frost but shields out too much sunlight long term. The thin one is too flimsy, and cannot withstand a lot of wind. The best thing about it is that it can be rolled up when you are done with it and re-used for several years. I think I have pictures if you are interested.

• joyfulsnowflake
    16 years ago

Steve, thanks for sharing about the cover. Actually, I wanted to know what the frame is made from. It looks like some kind of bendable tubing. What are they and how much do they cost?

• digit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gardentrekker, my only experience with row covers was probably using the flimsy material. Are your frames permanent structures used throughout the growing season?

Joy, the tubes are pvc pipes - 1/2 inch. Lowes & HD carry 2 grades and the heavier works nicely. With 10' lengths, I cut a few in half and coupled them together so as to have 15'. They are pushed over light weight re-bar arcing over an 8' by 20' area. I excavated a 2' path, 18" deep so that I could walk in there - it is only about 5' high. So it covers 2 beds, 3' by 20'.

Door and window frames are made out of 2 by 4's. I ran baling twine down the ridge to tie the pipes to so they stay in place. I also crisscross over the plastic with baling twine to hold it down in the wind. Nothin' to it - - simplest shelter imaginable.

Don't know the price of the pipe - really cheap.

Steve

• gardentrekker
    16 years ago

Steve, I used them throughout most of the growing season for my cucumbers, and part of the season for very early yu choy and other tender veges. The only drawback I have found with them is that they can tear with too much wind, but they are not difficult to repair (this is the medium weight one). I will post a picture of them as soon as my son helps me. I have surrounded raised beds now, so the half-round pvc pipes fit into holes drilled into the wood trim. However, a similar wood trim which is not attached to the surround (but staked into the ground) can be made for them to fit into also. Our tunnels look very much like yours. At the end of the season, we just lift the material off, then the pipes, and roll everything up for the next year. When I had to use some pyrethrin against a flea beetle infestation last year, I covered the row and sprayed into the tunnel, closed everything up, and waited a few days before opening it up. That kept the bees from getting killed off.

• gardentrekker
    16 years ago

{{gwi:389174}}

{{gwi:389176}}

• digit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Trekker, that is very, very nice!! Neat and tidy too, in fact the adjectives fail me! The plants look happy.

You are also using some "strapping" instead of the pvc pipe in one frame in the 2nd photo. What is that?

Does the tarp on the fence behind the cukes serve a purpose for wind protection? Generally, I find that whatever I can do to reduce the exposure to wind and heat loss (within reason), benefits the Asian veggies.

Steve

• luong
    16 years ago

Gardentrkker, that is neat and organized. Can you grow four seasons vegetable under the hoop? I put some old seeds in the garden, they are doing pretty good. I will see how they do in the winter. I will use your method for making compost. I went to the fish market for some trash, the ladies refused to give me anything but one gentleman gave me a bag to bring home. Thanks for your help.

• gardentrekker
    16 years ago

Steve, Thanks for your compliments. The strapping was made from a piece of wood ripped on a table saw, cheap and easy if you happen to have access to the tool. It works as well as the pvc pipe, except that it can rip the fabric if there is a stiff wind. The tarp on the fence is on the north side and shields out some of the prevailing winds. To prevent heat loss in the soil, I always wait until it is completely warmed up before I mulch it (to retain moisture). I often use black plastic or landscape fabric early in the season, then straw later on.
    Trekker

Luong, We have too much snow in Upstate NY to grow anything year round other than in a greenhouse, and then only cool weather crops. (Unless the greenhouse is heated). But there is a lot to greenhouse growing, and I have never tried it.

• digit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I set up a little 4 foot tunnel one March only to have a late snow storm collapse it. It sprung back up with a little shaking, some bright sunshine and the melting of the snow.

This country seldom has a snow fall of more than 6 inches at a time (gets less than 20 inches of precip. year-around - arid). It's not like Upstate NY by a long sight - to my understanding.

Luong, you may get away with Trekker's approach if your zone 6 climate doesn't dump too much snow on you. Those cucumber tunnels especially certainly look sturdy and like they'd shed snow well.

Steve

• luong
    16 years ago

Thanks Gardentrekket and Steve for the information. There is a wild range of temperature in my area. Each year is different. The soil around here is gravel mix. Nobody I knows grow vegetable. My neighbor use landscaper to do their yard work. I get most of my infromation from here. Thanks for everyone's input.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH