Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Melon aka Wax Gourd -- what to do with them?

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 12:57

Help. I planted these this year, several kinds in fact, a couple of round ones and an oblong one.

They've done really well, they liked our very hot summer.

Now, I've got several dozen fruits in various stages of maturity. Some are basketball sized or a little bigger.

They LOOK cool.

How in the heck do you eat them? What do you do with them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Melon aka Wax Gourd -- what to do with them?

have you tried a google search of "wax gourd tsp" and "winter melon tsp" etc.

well you are having fun this year growing everything. You must have a big garden.

there is a short discussion in the book

Growing Chinese Vegetables in Your Own Backyard

about a fancy dish where everything is cooked inside the gourd and served in the gourd with the gourd also cooked.

I think it is very mild so it will take on any flavor you spike it with. It will keep in the house a long time after harvest. important to have food in the winter in the old days.

I like soup so would use it that way. but give it some creative thought and you will do fine. it mixes with everything. my local oriental food store sells them so there is a good demand for such a big melon.

If you dont want them, your local store might be happy to buy them from you cheap.

I am sure you will find lots of ideas on the internet. the tsp is a clue to a recipe.

I am wanting to grow them next year. Let me know how it works out. The big ones are kind of big. you better be hungry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Wax Gourd and Meat Ball Soup

o

Peel the green skin off first then cut them into slices. 1/2 inch thick pieces are good for soup and thinner ones for steaming or stir frying. They have a very mild flavor. For soup, I usually put it in some chicken stock. For steaming, you can layer them with country ham, mushroom, bamboo shoots.

o

If you're winter melons are baseball size or larger, you'll be in for a pleasant surprise. The winter melon sold here can get up to 20-50 pounds. I received a small one in December from a friend whose mom who grow these. The melon kept for a long time.

Like ikea_gw mentioned, they're good in soups (try with ham and ginger for a hot soup on a cold day).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here