Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asian Vegetables Seed Exchange Group

Posted by chadmd 10 (mdcsharma@gmail.com) on
Sun, Sep 18, 11 at 13:41

Dear Asian Vegetable home growing enthsiest group.
As a home growing vegetables enthusiest I find heirloom vegetable seeds get pricy when you want to grow a variety of asian vegetables or even otherwise.All I need is few seeds and not a whole packet or bunch.
I was looking for different varieties of heirloom egg plant seeds - Thai, Japnese, Indian , Italian, and Brazilian.All I need is 5-10 seeds of each.What is available - $3 each packet plus C & H charges.Over $20 for these ............ pricy.
I have requested many times to seed companies to make affoardable and small packages for home garderns use .Understandable - it does not make business sense for them.
SO

I think it is a good idea if we can creat an exchange group and share with each other smaller quantities of heirloom asian or our local vegetable seeds.

Chad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asian Vegetables Seed Exchange Group

I am with you.

Anna

o

• Posted by ckap 9a Sugar LandTexas (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 9:06

I think it is a great idea.Count me in too.

Chaya

o

May I join as well? I've been going to the local Asian stores to buy some eggplants to harvest the seeds but have not had any luck finding exotic eggplants. I may need to go to Seattle's International District. Have any of you tried getting seeds this way? Did it work?
Thanks,

Kelly

o

Also, I have mizuna kyoto, mustard Han Tsai, Bok Choy, cilantro and red spinach seeds to trade. I am letting my Japanese Eggplants go to seed but they are not ready yet. I do not know how much seed I will get from them but I'll share if I have it.

o

Would like to try eggplants too.
I currently have lots angled luffa gourd, bitter melon (small oval) and hon choy (green/red stripe). Will have yard long bean. Also my neighbor from India has some kind of bean seeds.

o

Count me in! I got rhim-jim eggplant heirloom open pollinated seeds (fruit still ripening on plant) and some black beauty and Japanese ichiban seeds as well. Will have bellpepper seeds as well.

Would love to trade few here and there. add me to the list. infofiles@gmail.com

o

I read you could eat the luffa gourd. How big do you let it get before you harvest it to eat?

o

Has there been exchanges yet? I'm in interested and in san antonio, tx. add me to the list, chuckesweetmb@gmail.com. Thanks!
"Chuckie"

o

Count me in!

At this point, I have 2 types of interesting asian vegetable seeds:

asian winged bean
malabar spinach

I will have a lot more by next fall.

o

Count me in. I just saved seeds from indian rhim jhim eggplant and chinese eggplant. I have these ready for trade. I also participated in 2001 Annual tomato and pepper seed exchange and Heather is doing a wonderful job on that forum where everyone mails the seeds to her and paypal her return postage. she collects all seeds and then does the exchange as a volunteer. Has anyone thought of doing this here for So Cal folks?

o

Chad and others. this is what I was reffering to. folks jump in but no one takes the lead. it does take someone to volunteer this. in addition, not all folks have what they want and what they have to offer may not be appealing to others. this is why I feel one-on-one exchange doesnt work that well unless there are more than few varities available to exchange.

I suggest other people to bring on ideas. I suggest that whoever is interested sign-up at http://groups.google.com/group/veggieseedexchange and we go from there. Gardenweb is great site and will continue to post our things here, for specific exchange, communication on googlegroup would be very helpful. Thoughts?

o

Behlgarden, If people want to do an exchange with just one seed what do you care?? if you don't want to join then don't, but don't discourage other people from doing it. One on one is wonderful.
My two cents......
And don't have any asian seeds but I can sure look for some to trade all depends on who wants what. Just

o

My apology for this post I spoke out Stupidity and anger at I don't know what.
behlgarden Please for give me, that was uncalled for.
carmen

o

No worries carmen. I was just trying to help and make it easy for all. that's all. I am still waiting for some leadership skilled person/s to step forward or some volunteers to step forward. You can view my exchange list and these are good seeds.

o

I signed up for the googlegroup but it just looked like SPAM to me. What's up with that?!

o

Great idea and this forum is already set up for it. Just click on "exchanges" near the top or the messages directory.

Jim

o

have pac choi, all red amaranthus,chinese fuzzy melon nice and hugh lot like a cuke,chinese frog pumkin, eatable chinese bottle gourd, japanese white and white and green eggplant, french sorrel, also try artisticgarden.com. seeds start at .35 cents and pinetree is about 1.25 a pack with around the world seeds

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 9, 12 at 11:59

On the Round Robin Exchange forum there are several edible seed swaps available now. I am expanding my asian vegetables this year, so very interested in having others join in.

Corrine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here