Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allen11_gw

snow pea shoots too tough

allen11
17 years ago

Late last summer I planted some snow pea shoots and by the time they were 12"+ the shoots were tough tough tough...inedible; so I didn't even bother this year. Any ideas why? They were in good soil, partial sun and matured in Sept. Do they have to be harvested when small?

Comments (4)

• digit
    17 years ago

We plant Oregon Sugar Pod for both pods and shoots. The only parts of the vine worth eating are the very tips. You can use the size of the leaves as a guide, I believe. If the leaf has reached full size - you don't want it. The tips may include blossoms and that's fine.

We are harvesting shoots now from replanting after the Spring peas were pulled out in mid-Summer. These vines won't have time to develop pods and are only a couple of feet high so don't need trellising.

Many of these tasty tendrils are only 6 or 8 inches long. You may wish to chop them, especially if they are longer. I like 'em (taste just like peas ;o) but they are just a bit "stringy".

Steve

• micropropagator
    17 years ago

My snow pea pods are always getting away from me and tough. I like the edible round pods better and like 'Sugar Sprint' because they need longer to get tough and are open pollen so I can save my own seed. They cost more than some cultivars, but now I grow my own seed.
    I mostly cook garden stew using whatever I have in garden and each year growing more of what I like and less of the worst things. I hear growing peas in the shade during hot summer has some merit--I hope to try that in 2007.

• wenderina
    16 years ago

the original post was in September 2006. I'm wondering if anyone has discovered a certain cultivar of snow peas that yield tender leaves for stir frying? I love them as an alternative to stir frying other greens such as spinach and bok choi. Thanks in advance for any info or updates anyone can provide.

• macaronicat
    16 years ago

I use the top 4" of sugar snap peas for stir fries, and they are very tender and delish.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022