Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
materwitch

Korean Melon Ripeness Question

sunnyk
15 years ago

{{gwi:124044}}

I recieved these seeds from a friend as a gift, so this is my first experience with Korean Melons. It is the only melon on the only vine that grew so it is special to me and I dont want to screw up.

So that being said, I am in need of help judging whether or not it is ripe enough to pick. It is a little larger than a baseball and has been the same size for a couple weeks now. It started off green and has turned yellow over the last week. I really can't tell if the color is changing any more or not. Is there any way to really tell if it is fully ripe, or am I going to have to just pick it soon and hope for the best.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments (18)

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

Here is what another thread said about Korean Melon ripeness.

What is the name of the melon you are growing?

I am growing a Korean melon called Keum Je, but I think is is really a Chamoe melon. Report back on the ripeness of your melons, because I need to pick my fruits in about 2 weeks.

Dean

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I picked it last night because I was getting antsy and I may have been able to wait another day or 3 LOL.... however it was wonderful, like a cross between a mild Honey dew and a muskmelon/cantaloupe, but crisper, and juicy.

I wish I could tell you what variety it is, but the seeds were sent to me as a bonus in a swap, and the sender didnt specify.

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

Sunnyk,

If you did not grow any other melons, you could save seeds. Did you save any seeds by chance?

I checked my melons again last night and they are still green, and need a couple more weeks, mine are more oblong as well.

Dean

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did save the seeds, Although I did grow Cantaloupes this years as well, but they were seperated from the Korean Melons by about fifty feet and our house, so I hope I am OK.

Let me know how yours are once you taste them. :)

• sparklenj
    15 years ago

Hello,
    I think the yellower the more ripe, and frangrance is also an indicator. I also heard just weeks ago that the deeper the ridge of the lines running down the melon, the sweeter they are, but haven't vetted that one yet. Good luck!

• moonshadows
    15 years ago

you pick these when all traces of green are gone from the melon and the veins are nice and white --- peal the skin like you might peal an apple slice the melon long ways and eat it entirely if the seeds are hard it may be a little too ripe but the seeds hold most of the sweet flavor the melon has to offer if you eat only the meat they are less flavorful and too "crisp" for some people i believe they are a good cross in flavor between a cantaloupe and a honeydew. my wife is korean and i have been searching all night trying to i find the name for these melons she calls them "chamae" like cha-may. if your plant dies off or freezes before they ripen she says you can use the green ones like you might use a cucumber i dont know that is just what she is telling me ---- scott

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

Here are a few links about Chamoe Melon:
    {{gwi:389338}}, {{gwi:389339}}, Link, Link, Link

Here is what one of the links said about ripeness:
    To choose best chamoe
    1. Its shape should be consistent, and follow the variety's original shape.
    2. Its color should be same as the original color of the variety. Choose a lustrous one.
    3. The stalk should not be withered; choose a properly ripened one.
    4. The peel should be thin and the flesh should be dense.
    5. Choose one with excellent fragrance.

I plan to grow out my melons, because the package said it was a F1 hybrid, but the trader I got the seeds from thought they were open pollinated. That is if I can get some ripe ones.

Dean

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the excellent information. I have one more little green guy on the vine I am hoping has a chance at growing and ripening before the frost flies...but it is good to know that I can use it in the green stage as a cucumber substitute if it doesnt get a chance at turning ripe. And I saved a bunch of seeds and I hope I can grow them again next season...I will definitely do more than one vine next season, for sure!!

Thanks Again!! :)

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

Sunnyk,

How long from when they started turning yellow til when you harvested?

I am wondering, because they weather is nice this week, but has started to turn cold.

thanks,
    Dean

• noodle1017
    15 years ago

OMG! I've been trying to find this seeds for a long time. I bought this at the asian market and they had it label Golden Honeydew. It is so sweet and juicy. By chance, do you have extra?

• jwr6404
    15 years ago

Dean
    The seeds I sent were Cham-ae(my spelling. I may have sent you some Green varieties. I think the best link for Asian Vegetables/Melons is www.evergreenseeds.com
    Jim

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

noodle1017,

Send me an email, I will be able to get you some seeds. I saved some from some I grow this year, I am growing two other varieties next year.

Dean

• noodle1017
    15 years ago

Hi Dean,

I just send you an email. Thank you so much!!!!!!!

• scarletrose
    15 years ago

I have been planting this one for three years. Absolutely my favorite.
    Yellow color is the best indicator. First they turn into pale yellow and then soon bright yellow. You can pick from pale yellow stage. Bright yellow ones are much sweeter.

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

I have just planted a variety of this korean melon.
    But they have more sphroidal (long) shape not round.
    They sell this type in korean market in Atlanta GA area.
    I have bought them many times before. I call them personal melons, since one is just enouh for one person.
    I wonder how long would it take to get the ripen melon?
    Since they are small , shoul ripen quicker. Am I right?

• deanriowa
    14 years ago

I have planted a couple more hill of the Chamae melons, thanks Jim for the seeds.

I planted some last year, but that variety was pretty tough when ripe, I hope this brand turns out a little better. I will report back on these.

Dean

• HU-104014269
    2 years ago

I remember chammea from many work trips to Korea. finally noticed a few in the local Safeway store as "Korean melons", so I bought one. the store bought one must have been harvested too early or something because the flavor was "blah"" at best. however, it did have seeds, which I planted in a large 18" pot and successfully grew 3 melons. I harvested the first one when all the green was gone and the stripes where white. it was crunchy and sweet, just like I remembered. I think I planted overall too late in the season, but just in time to get 3 melons.

the skin on this type was a bit too tough to really eat, but I don't remember ever having any with skins back in the day during my trips there either. I found your site because I wasn't sure exactly when to harvest my experimental batch. thanks for the tips!