Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chaman_gw

Information about Parvar Or Pointed Gourd

chaman
17 years ago

I am looking for inforamtion about buying Parvar or pointed gourd plants (Trichosanthes diocia Roxb.) both male and female.Please let me know if you have any info.I have dwarf variety of Moringa Oleifera for exchange.

Comments (16)

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

Sorry, don't have that gourd... but if I may ask, what was the source for the "dwarf" Moringa? I have two 5-year-old Moringa trees in pots (and two 2-year-olds), the dwarf sounds interesting.

• chaman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dwarf Moringa seeds were developed by University of Chennai
    in India.These are perennial kind plants and grow to about two meters in height.
    I have four year old 5 plants.This year one plant gave 30 pods,rest have few ,some times they drop down.They need bees as pollinators.
    Before the frost warning I take them indoors with stem removed at a height of about 1 foot and take out doors in next June.
    They flowered in earlier years and had some fruits but all were dropped.I believe the roots were in a maturing process or the pollination was not complete or there could be any other reason.
    I had bought the seeds in bulk from Horti Nursery Networks
    25,1st Floor,Raji Medical Bldgs.
    1103 E.V.N. Road
    ERODE-638 009, T.N.

• chaman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Photo of Moringa Oleifera.

{{gwi:388151}}

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

Beautiful trees, Chamen. My seed was was from ECHO, in Florida. Nothing dwarf about it though, it never flowers. We grow it for the leaves, which we use for a Filipino soup.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread, hope you find that gourd.

• chaman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Please accept this correction.
    Dwarf moringa seeds were developed by Tamilnadu Agricultural University not by University of Chennai.

• solanum1
    17 years ago

Hi, zeedman
    Could you post the Filipino soup recipe, please? We also mainly use Moringa for its leaves. I would love to use the drumsticks but, although the tree flowers, the fruit never follow...
    Rose-Marie

• sienna
    17 years ago

Chaman,
    Does Dwarf Moringa grow in Zone 7?

Joe

• chaman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Joe,
    Yes, it can be grown in Zone 7 as perenial plant.You need to grow plant in the pot.
    Keep the plant out door during summer.Before the expected frost warning (mostly during September) take the plant indoor.If the plant has beans on it do not trim, otherwise trim the stem at 1 foot above the soil level in the pot.
    In my experiment here in Maryland plant started flowering in very first year but matured after third year to produce enough beans as seen in the posting above.

• anjukothari_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Did you find parval / parwal plants ? I am looking for parwal and tindora (Ivy Gourd) plants. I live in northern virginia . I have heirloom yellow pear tomato seeds / plants, tulsi , curry leaves for exchange.

thanks

• chaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Anju,
    I did not find Parwar.Please contact SushilaPatel55@yahoo.com for Tindora plants.

• Jerry_1943
    12 years ago

Hello All,
    I've managed to order Pointed Gourd (Parwal, Potol)plants and tindora plants from India. They will be shipped from India by this weekend. I will offer plants on ebay soon after they arrive. I will offer sets of 5 Pointed Gourd (4 females to 1 male). Tindora set fruit with only one vine necessary.

Jerry Charpentier
    clivia98@yahoo.com

• apuNJ
    12 years ago

hi,

I am also looking for Parwal and Tindora plants. If any one interested to exchange with curry plant.

Jerry, greatly if you could please provide me the contact information where you bought your plants from.

thanks
    apu patel

• jay-wpb
    12 years ago

Chaman,
    IS the photo that of your moringa plant? I have a few moringa plants, the pods never get that long!!

• chaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes.It is the photo of my Moringa plant.Moringa I have is a Dwarf variety.It will grow from 10 to 13 feet.It can be easily grown in a pot so that it can be moved out door during summer months and can be taken indoor for over wintering.Frost and cold of winter will kill the plant.

• sreedevi_alla
    12 years ago

I have tindora(ivy gourd) seeds with me. I bought them online. I can send you in exchange of Moringa if you still have.

Thanks,
    Sridevi

• chaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We have Tindora roots(tubers).If some body wants to buy Tindora roots (Tubers) may contact sushilapatel@55.gmail.com.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES