Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fiddlerchick

Nira Conundrum (Chinese chives/garlic chives)?

Brenda K Spevak
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Has anybody had success growing nira (I think they might be more commonly known as Chinese or Garlic Chives) in Southern California or a similar climate?

I'll fast forward through my newbie blunderings and failures with this veggie my Japanese husband and I love very much and get to the current status:

I finally had sucess with getting some nira seeds to sprout sometime last March, and now after almost seven months, a reasonable amount of them are finally starting to look like young nira plants that might actually get big enough to harvest someday. I realize that I put them in a spot that was not ideal (too much shade, stays too wet, to many invasive former resident plants keep popping up amonst them, etc.).

That said, when I ordered more seeds last week (I finally learned that the ones I brought when I moved back from Tokyo five years ago had long since expired and that was why they never came up!), I understood from the Evergreen website that nira takes awhile to mature, and that you shave it off to harvest and new leaves come up; and that it should be divided every couple years. Does that mean that an established "colony" could be succssfully relocated elsewhere in the garden or to a container?

Could somebody please help clarify this, and if anyone has a tried-and-true "nira management program" in place, I would be most grateful if you would share it with me.

I have thought about relocating my alliums to the opposite side of my little postage stamp garden in front where there is more light, but the flip side is that area gets blasted by the ruthless southern california sun most of the day, and I'm concerned that the shallow-rooted alliums might not care for that arrangement either. That said, there were some big, robust-looking onions growing out of the hard-baked solid clay soil in full sun in our next door neighbors' yard (We had the same type of soil except that I spent a lot of time and $$$$ digging it up and amending the h#]] out of it)

Another proposal is to place a large-ish trough shaped planter in the back parking lot where my other containers are, and put the other alliums I am trying to grow in it since an environment like that might be somewhat easier to manage. My shallots and globe onions also didn't care for the spot they shared next to the nira plants.

Thoughts?? I would really appreciate any pearls of wisdom so I might get a decent crop of alliums in the coming season(s)!

Thanks very much,

Brenda K

Comments (3)

• thaigrower
    14 years ago

Hi Brenda,
    I grow my chives in large clay pots, the soil being a mixture of compost and sandy soil that exists here in Central Florida. My garlic chives seem to grow better than the others. ....ummm... don't remember but I probably mixed some bone meal and epsom salt in with the compost also.
    The clay pot wicks extra moisture away in this humid climate and puts them up above most invasive plants nearby. Mine are in full sun only 4-5 hours a day, grew quite fast really. They really do well in a pot and I can always move them as the sunlight shifts this time of year.
    They are delicious! I love to cut a bunch, mix with scrambled egg and add to fried rice. Nice color and flavor.

• Brenda K Spevak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Thai,

Thank you!! I think I will see if I can set up an allium container garden in the back and put more nira in there (while hoping for the best with the fledgling colony out front). We have the opposite situation here in So.Cal., i.e., trying not to let the plants dry out due to low humidity, so I wonder if I should use a wooden container, or does that transpire moisture the way unglazed terra cotta does? (of course my wallet is screaming "plastic containers" because they are inexpensive, but I want my plants to be happy!)

Nira Tamago (scrambled eggs w/the garlic chives over rice) is one of my husband and my favorite "comfort foods" to cook up when we get home late after a performance - it's delicious, quick and satisfying. I also use lots of nira when I make pad thai. Ironically enough, of all the plants I managed to grow since I got my first "real" garden this year, the ones I really wanted but wasn't able to grow very well were nira and cilantro.... Live and learn - there's always next season!

Thanks again,

Brenda

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

fiddlerchick 10,

I suggest you browse the Square Foot Gardening Forum. Get your location in full sun, with good soil that will provide plenty of drainage. Garlic Chives/Chinese Chives/Nira are one of the easiest things to grow. You'll learn from that form, everything you need to know about building a raised bed that will work for you.

Cilantro prefers cool weather and has an inherently short life span. Do a search of the Asian Vegetable Forum for Vietnamese Cilantro and you will find discussion on different varieties to try.

Sponsored