Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for Japanese sweet potato to grow (if I can grow it here)

Posted by luvmyfish z5 IN (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 05 at 20:54

I'm in north central Indiana. I can't find a place to buy Japanese Sweet Potato (satsumaimo) so I would like to buy some seed potatoes IF they can be grown in this area. Any ideas where I can find some? thanks!

Gale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for Japanese sweet potato to grow (if I can grow it h

• Posted by Honu z11 HI (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 29, 05 at 1:08

Sand Hill Preservation lists Japanese sweet potato.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sand Hill Preservation

o

oop-slips not seeds. LOL. Shows how much I know about growing sweet potatoes. Thanks for the link! The sweet potatoes I've always had are purple with yellow flesh but I will probably give these a try too.

Gale

o

Gale, I don't know if you ever found your sweet potato slips, but if you want some in spring of '06, I can try to send you some once the weather breaks. The oriental markets here regularly carry a sweet potato with reddish-purple skin and a pale yellow flesh when cooked, and they sprout just as well as any other sweet potato. According to my husband, those are the proper kind to use for Kuri Kinton at New Year's - I don't usually do other Japanese recipes with sweet potatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here