Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting bok choy and choy sum seeds?

Posted by josmo (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 24, 09 at 0:10

Good morning

I started growing Asian greens some months ago and left a few to become mother plants. Now both my bok choy and choy sum are carrying numerous seed pods but I don't know when I should harvest the seeds in the pods. The pods have been on the plants for several weeks now and don't seem to be getting any bigger. However they are still green. I cut a few off to dry in the sun. When I cracked them open, some of the seeds are still green. Does this mean they're not yet fully developed? Should I leave the pods on the plant until it starts to turn brown?

Thanks
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting bok choy and choy sum seeds?

Joe,

Correct. The seeds are not ready and planting would not work.

Think about how nature would do it if no humans were around. It takes time to fully form seeds from plants. The outer sheath will turn brown and dry. Eventually, the pod will split open and the seeds will fall to the ground and they'll germinate when environmental conditions are ideal.

What you need to do is to allow the seeds to fully mature. Wait for the seed pod stems to turn brown and dry.

o

Thank you for your advice! I shall leave them on the plant until they dry out. I was given some choy sum and bok choy seeds but the germination rate was really poor so I'm hoping the fresh seed will work better. Joe.

o

Hi Joe,

Do you know if your plants are hybrid seeds or not? I ask because if you were given hybrid seeds then you should not expect to get the same plant that those seeds produced. Why? Because two parent plants were crossed to produce that seed and those parents are often known only to the seed company. It's a matter of genetics. Therefore you should only save seed from non-hybrid plants. This way, you'll know you're growing the same plant you harvested the seeds from.

Some good info about hybrids and saving your own seeds:

Saving Vegetable Seeds: University of Minnesota
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ure/M1226.html

Hybrid Varieties And Saving Seed: Texas A&M University
http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/vegetables/seed.html

Saving Seed: Colorado State University
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/Garden/07602.html

o

Hi Violet

I don't know if I received hybrid seeds. They were given to me by an ex-neighbour. So far it appears the seeds are producing the plants I'm expecting ie. choy sum and baby bok choy (with the greenish not whitish stems). It's my first time growing Chinese vegies so don't know a great deal about them.

I have noticed that the seeds are producing two species of choy sum, I think: one has fine furry hairs on the leaves (top and underside) which are rather prickly. The other is the one with the yellow flowers that is commonly sold. I've been discarding the first species as I wasn't keen on eating prickly leaves.

Thanks for the links. The info is very useful!

Assuming that the few mature seeds (brown not green) that I've planted develop into seedlings, I'll find out then if they are hybrids of some sort.

Cheers
Joseph

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here