Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bak Choi (Toy Choi) -- some questions

Posted by dancinglemons 7+ (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 3:12

Hello all,

I am going to plant the miniature Bak Choi that grows only 6-7 inches tall. The seed packet says "Toy Choi" 40 days. I am in Zone 7+ (wee bit warmer than most of zone 7). I am expecting the first light frost in about 14 days. Is it safe to plant this now -OR- should I start some in flats and then put out when they sprout?? We usually get a light frost and then have 2-3 weeks in the 50's - 70's followed by 40's - 50's until early December. I will also be covering with row cover. BTW I grow in EarthBoxes.

Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations you can give.

DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bak Choi (Toy Choi) -- some questions

Go ahead and direct sow outside or utilize the "winter sowing" method. There is an entire forum dedicated to the technique, read the FAQ first.

Prepare your soil, they'll germinate in 2-3 weeks if your temps do not go below 45˚F. And even if your temps do drop, if it warms up again, they'll know when the time is right for them to sprout. If you direct sow, go ahead and use the row cover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here