Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whgille

winter squash varieties

whgille
14 years ago

Hi

I grew this season the Chinese winter squash Papaya Sweet and Papaya Golden.

The sweet did better in performance in my climate. They are so good!, that I would like to try any other Asian varieties that did well for any of you.

I am looking for a winter squash that can be used when green and also when ripe. Flavor is very important since I use in a lot of cooking, savory as well as sweet dishes.

Thanks for your help, here are my Chinese pumpkins.

{{gwi:60427}}

Silvia

Comments (8)

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Known You Seed Company ( Taiwan) develops a lot of winter squash. Fairy is probably the best known in North America. Kitazawa Seed Company leans toward Japanese and Korean developed cultivars but has a wide selection, including some from Known You. The more common butternuts and acorns are frequently used as dual purpose squash. Any winter squash can be used as a summer squash when immature, but quality varies widely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Known You Squash

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Farmerdilla

Thank you for your response! I thought this forum was dead. lol

In your expert opinion which one is your favorite winter squash? Any variety from any place. I like to try new varieties every year.

Last year I did the Seminole, this year I did Asian squash, next season I would like to try a new one for me.

I do prefer heirlooms if possible, this way I can save the seeds.

Thank you for the links, I am going to take a look and see what I find.

Silvia

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Don't really have a favorite, Tend to move around as conditions and requirements change. I grew up on Cushaws ( C. mixta) because they were the easiest to grow in the south. Still grow them for pies, but they are really too big now. I can't eat like I use to and one squash will feed me through the winter. I like Hubbards especially the Chicago Green, but again too big, and they are difficult to grow in the south. Butternuts and their kin ( C. moschata) are a standby for me as they are both delicious and resistant to the squash vine borer. I like the butternuts in casseroles and the cheese types for pies. Currently growing two Thai cultivars , Beung Karn and Fagtong Sri Muang. Of course I also like a couple of acorns with baked apples in the center. favorite , Bush Table Queen) These are C. pepo, but the bush forms are not quite as susceptible to SVB.
    {{gwi:14996}} {{gwi:14995}} {{gwi:388472}}
    This one is African (Morocco) quite delicious, but gets too big for my uses. {{gwi:389922}}

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Farmerdilla, what a beautiful squashes!!!

I am also looking for the small ones, when dealing with the big ones , it is hard to use it up.

I like yours and the colors, you have given me plenty of info to make a decision soon for next season, I will be looking into those Thai that you mention.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience one more time.

Silvia

• Zeak Rice
    12 years ago

Say, farmerdill, Concerning Beung Karn and Fagtong Sri Muang. I was looking at these as possible for 2012. I see you grew in 2009. Can you tell me something about them. Length of vines, flavor, dry or moist, meat thick or thin, problems, etc. Not much on GOOGLE. zeakrice@hotmail.com

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Both of them have vines that try to head to the next county. Actually 15-25 feet. Taste and texture is similar to butternut but varies somewhat. Beung Karn is small 2-5 lbs while the Muang will go 5-10 lbs.
    {{gwi:389924}} {{gwi:389926}}

• Zeak Rice
    12 years ago

Where do you get the seeds for Beung Karn and Fagtong Sri Muang? Katazawa and Known-You don't have them. (the latter must be owned by Monsanto. Most everything is (F1) Hybrids.

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

These originally came from KCB Samen via Lilypons in Canada. Hybrid but comes relatively true from saved seeds. Evergreen seeds has the the Muang and sells Bungkan. Which some folks sell as beung karn. I have not grown it, pictures of the squash look similar, but it is listed as a C. maxima. Beung karn is definitely a C. moschata http://www.evergreenseeds.com/orientalsquash.html

Here is a link that might be useful: KCB-Samen

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath