Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winterizing lemon grass question

Posted by LovinRoses 7GrtsPassOR (suzypowell@marykay.com) on
Fri, Oct 28, 05 at 13:56

I am going to try a technique that I dreamed up the other night. I am going to take the Water Towers and place them over my lemon grass and see if it will survive the winter. The other one I am going to bring inside in a pot. What do you think???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winterizing lemon grass question

• Posted by bellie 7-B ..Va. Beach (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 28, 05 at 20:00

They do not thrive in cold weather. Bellie

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 29, 05 at 6:46

If you put it in a pot, you might try a deep one. I put my lemon grass in a 4" deep pot & kept it outdoors all winter one year & it did survive, but did not look great. I was able to bring it back, however, by putting it in the ground in the spring. My outdoor winter lows are 40 degrees usually; rarely freezing, which might mimic a basement in your zone.

o

It'd be less headaches if you just start a new one every spring. Lemon grass is one of the easiest plants to grow. Dig some stalks up, cut off the long leaf and let them dry in room temp. 1 month before the last frost you can start indoor by stick the stalks in a cup of water. Within a week you will see the roots appear. I usually wait 4 weeks before planting them in the ground. (I have not let them dry for more than 2 months so I'm not sure if they will root.) If not you can always buy the stalks at any Asian market and root them the same way. They are not expensive, 5 stalks for $1. TT

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here