Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ipomea aquatica a.k.a. ung choy, kang kong

Posted by hilee none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 17:30

Just a quick question�wondering (and I have looked in the Net) why "they" say to pick stems and leaves before the plant flowers�My ung choy is flowering all they time! Should I just pull off the buds and harvest anyway? It is climbing out of the pot, trailing nicely--but I want to eat it�hah! Oh yeah, one more question: I have the white flowered variety and I was wondering if anyone had the lavender variety--perhaps we could trade seeds?
Thanks in advance,
Lee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ipomea aquatica a.k.a. ung choy, kang kong

• Posted by JCTsai 8B - Yulee, FL (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 20:28

How can that be? It will be flowering if you let them growing without harvesting

o

Well, if it is grown for its leaves then preferably you don't want stem and flowers. But nothing wrong with eating the stem and florets, as long as they are still tender. We eat broccoli like that, don't we ?

o

So, I take it that I can just pull off the leaves and flowers and just eat the stems. I didn't know you could eat the flowers. I was letting the plant get big enough to harvest a lot but it just kept flowering and flowering...

o

• Posted by Davu Thailand (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 2:25

If you leave the plants for too long they get quite tough. However people around here still harvest after this point, but not the flowers. We have occasionally sown it in the garden and harvested young, I'm quite partial to it myself.

o

hilee,

The leaves are the most desired part of the plant to enjoy. The stems can be touch and fibrous unless they are new, young, and tender.

Just trim stems to about a foot from the end. Harvest a healthy handful of stems worth of leaves for dinner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ong Choy Recipes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here