Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

suhyo hybrid vs heirloom

plantslayer
14 years ago

I've grown a hybrid suhyo or similar long oriental cucumber for the past few years, and they have been really nice. Even though the plants are not too happy in my climate, if I get just a two or three of these monsters per week it is enough for personal consumption and sharing with others. This year, however, my plants were hurt pretty bad by powdery mildew late in the season, although they still gave us enough cucumbers to eat.

Anyway, I saw that it is possible to buy both the hybrid and non-hybrid versions of suhyo cucumber online. Is there any advantage to the heirloom version such as taste? I'd like to try out the heirloom, but given how bad mildew is here I think I might need to stick with hybrid versions to make sure I get a harvest.

Also, someone gave my wife some nice pickling-sized cucmbers that have a silvery tint towards the end of the fruit; they were very crisp. I want to grow these- was this probably one of the Korean hybrid varieties sold by evergreen? Has anyone grown those before?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington