Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wanted: any kind of asain vegetables

Posted by maryk4 9 zip 32826 (mankellow@cfl.rr.com) on
Fri, Nov 23, 07 at 0:55

we have 3 growing seasons here. if anyone has any seeds that they want to share, i will send postage for you to send them to me. my grandaughter is a vegetarion and would like to add new kinds of vegetables to her diet, me too. w3e both like all kind of vegetables. also any recipes to go with them or how to cook them!!
thanks and happy growing
annie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanted: any kind of asain vegetables

You've made an extremely general request. Maybe if you could make your preferences known in a little more specific way it would generate more interest.

Jim

o

Your another source is to visit Indian or Orienal grocery store if there is one near by.You may find some vegetables like Bitter melons etc. which have started in ripening process.
Buy them and use those seeds.Or you may request store manager to save some before they discard.

o

Hi! I live in Asia. I would suggest (for easy planting) the following : 1. mung beans ( you can germinate this even in wet cotton) ; 2. hot small peppers (no idea what it is called but it is SUPER HOT and great with the vinegar) 3.bitter melon -which is great for diabetes and one of the easiest to plants ( I have all non-hybrids).

o

I have been using beans from the 15 Bean Soup packets available at almost all grocery stores for about $2.5.
Only thing required is sorting them out before planting.Easy to germinate and good producers.

o

Brepee seed co & park seed have only 3 type of greens which
I grow an use in my Kim chi wish I had more type of asain vegetables my self sv6761@yahoo.com

o

I forgot (my age)forgive me at the last posting to put this link.
http://evergreenseeds.stores.yahoo.net/vegetableseeds.html

Here is a link that might be useful: evergreenseeds.stores

o

No seeds to share, but I'll give you some ideas for things you should consider growing (my mom is Japanese, so this list is horribly biased)

Daikon radish
-This is a staple-- you can use this in ANYTHING, from salads to stews to pickles. A common table condiment is grated radish mixed with soy sauce which you then mix into your rice. It's a great sore throat remedy. Also add grated radish to tempura dipping sauce (if you eat at a Japanese restaurant request for them to bring it out for you ;3)

Kyuri (Japanese cucumber)
-This is the best tasting cucumber IN. THE. WORLD. Slender, dark green, bumpy, and crispy, it's the only cucumber you will ever want to eat. Ever. Ever. I love them fresh or pickled. They make such wonderful pickles.

Satsuma imo (Satsuma sweet potato)
-Sweet doesn't even begin to describe this potato. It's not cloying like the more orangey ones are, but rather subtle but still very flavorful with a creamy consistency. My family likes to steam or boil it and put salt in the holes where they dug out the eyes (but then again they also put salt on apples and watermelons so... yeah). I like it au naturel. It's very pretty-- purple on the outside, cream-colored on the inside.

Murasaki imo (Purple sweet potato)
-Truthfully, I have never eaten this except as prepared in fancy desserts, like cakes and ice creams. I will assume that it's sweet, but I know for a fact that the flesh is very very purple. If nothing else, it's an extremely beautiful potato.

Shiso (Japanese... basil? or beefsteak plant)
-There are two kinds-- red and green. They have a sort of basily smell, but not quite? The taste is sort of spicy/tangy/bitter/basil. Anyway, they are delicious fresh and pickled, as garnishes, or just a pretty ornamental plant. The red shiso is particularly beautiful.

Kabocha (Japanese pumpkin)
-This is probably my favorite of all Japanese vegetables. It's a smallish, green/orange bumpy pumpkin with the most delicious pumpkin taste ever. It's sweet, it's creamy, it's bright orange and cheerful. It will make you happy when it gets dark during the fall and winter.

Negi (spring onion)
-This ain't your ordinary green onion-- in Japan, these things are enormous-- like, 2+ feet long enormous. Even though they taste pretty much like most green onions, you don't have to do as much slicing because one of these will equal a couple bunches of the small ones.

Gobou (burdock root)
-I remember hearing a sad story where one of the pieces of evidence used against the Japanese for their war crimes was that they forced American POWs to eat yucky tree roots instead of real food while in the camps. I'm glad that war criminals got prosecuted for what they did, but bringing the humble gobou plant into this was unfair-- those yucky roots are a favorite of macrobiotic cooks today because they're hella good for you, and delicious to boot :9

Nasu (Japanese eggplant)
-Long and slender and dark in color, these guys pack such a wonderful flavor in such a skinny package. They're great as pickles and tempura, but there's a wide array of dishes you can use them in.

Then there's the leafy and green vegetables, of which there are many that are widely available-- napa cabbage, mizuna, mibuna, gailan, bok choy, etc. Note that Japanese napa cabbage (hakusai) is ENORMOUS compared to what you buy in grocery stores here-- I am not sure if they just grow it longer or if it's a different variety.

I also enjoy Indian cooking, and popular veggies used in the various regional cuisines include okra, snap beans, small round eggplants, cauliflower, lentils, potatoes, and tomatoes. Just remember to grow all the right spices to throw in you dishes ;3

I can keep going on and on but I'll spare you. I think you have plenty of ideas going on in this thread. Especially if your daughter loves Asian foods, she'll have an easy time being a vegetarian. Who knows-- maybe you can start growing soybeans so you can make your own tofu :D

o

For a decent selection of Asaian greens go to pinetreeseeds.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here