Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aly1917

What to do with Chinese Kangkong seed?

AlyG
19 years ago

Hi all,

I have an odd problem for which I'm seeking advice. A good friend visited Thailand several months ago and, while there, picked up several packages of seed as a present for me. Very sweet of him. Unfortunately, the description on one of the packages was in Thai (which I neither speak nor read), so I emailed the distributor (East West seed company)to find out what it was.

Well, they wrote back promptly and informed me that the seed was "Chinese Kangkong seed "Yod Pai 9," which is forbidden to send to USA." Subsequent googling (now that I had the name) indicated that Kangkong is on the list of very nasty invasives, is indeed prohibited in the US, and that several states have stiff fines for possession of the plant. Yowser!

Well, I'm certainly NOT going to plant this, but I also can't just throw the seed away...and, therein lies my problem. If anyone has a good suggestion for the safe disposal of the seed I would very much appreciate it. No lectures about my friend please (he merely wished to gift an addicted gardener). Realistic, eco-friendly suggestions, however, are welcome.

TIA,

Aly

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?