Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moringa and jute leaves

Posted by TealGarden none (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 11:20

I have so much of these things growing and is running out of ways to prepare them. Does anyone know of any other uses for these greens? The moringa tree also bears pod like fruits.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moringa and jute leaves

Photobucket
I also have plenty of taro leaves that have been doing really well in the greenhouse. Stalks are used in soup and leaves are tossed in compost bin.

o

When dried & powdered, the jute leaves can be used as a soup thickener. Mostly, though, I just eat it boiled as a green; it seems to compliment fish well.

The Moringa leaves can also be dehydrated & used to add protein content to soups... if you have enough of them. In my climate, I am restricted to growing Moringa as annual transplants, and only get 2-3 pickings (4 in a good year) before cold weather kills the plants. You can peel & grind the roots to make a horseradish-like condiment (hence one of Moringa's aliases, "Horseradish Tree") but this should be used in moderation.

The non-profit ECHO (link below) has publications for growing & using Moringa.

Here is a link that might be useful: ECHO

o

I have some moringa pods, I've been thinking of planting for trees to feed my chickens. How much space do the trees need? Do they need full sun? Is the tree ornamental? Messy?

o

If you ever cook cookies, you can add some moringa powder to them, it is a very energetic snack.

Here is a link that might be useful: ColMoringa

o

Moringa leaves can be added fresh to soups.

taro leaves can be dried up a bit and used in stews.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here