Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yumamelon

Chinese melon seed

yumamelon
16 years ago

Hello,

I am looking for some seed of chinese melons. Mostly the "Hami" melon. If anyone has any seed I can trade some tomatoes or melon seed.

Thanks,

Yuma

Comments (9)

• gardentrekker
    16 years ago

I have several kinds of Chinese melon seeds, but have no idea what "hami" melons are. Would you describe them? I would love to send you some seeds if they are the kind you want.

• yumamelon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello,
    They are usually football shaped and sparsley netted. Very firm flesh and very high sugar. Very strong plants that are usually pm susceptible. They come in all the typicall melon colors (white, orange, green)for both flesh and skin color.
    I have some links below.
    Thanks for your help,
    Yuma

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.gov.cn/english/2006-09/07/content_380998.htm

• yumamelon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry,
    Here is another.
    Yuma

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gardentrekker
    16 years ago

I know which melon you mean now, but I don't have any seeds. I have seen the melons for sale in our local Oriental food store. Perhaps you might try buying a very ripe one and collect the seeds yourself. It's worth a try unless you can find another source. Good luck.

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

Here is a picture of Hami Jiageda that I grew this year. The flesh is white with green tints near the rind, sweet, lightly aromatic, and very soft with a texture that I have not seen before in melon. This is a storage melon and should be placed in a warm room for at least 2 months before slicing. I got about 300 seed from this melon and plan to grow enough next year to have make seed available from Sandhill Preservation.

DarJones

{{gwi:390544}}

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

I want to grow this. I will look for Sandhill in 2012. A long wait. Does it cross with any other common melons or does it pretty much breed true in USA.

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

I wonder if the Sun Jewel F1 hybrid seeds has a Hami melon as parent. I purchased and ate one of the Sun Jewel and I liked it.

looking around I found the seeds available from many seed sellers. I just picked this seller at random.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun Jewel melon

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

I scored a Hami Melon from Turlock Fruit Co of Turlock CA you can find it on google. mine is marked #4375 Peacock brand

http://www.turlockfruit.com/images/Promotional/PHOTO%20LIBRARY%20123.jpg

I have the same sticker on the melon except it has the PLU #4375 for the cash register at the store to pick up on the sale. It has the same picture of the peacock and the wording.

I picked the smallest one in the store and it was 4.7 pounds and $4.20. I figured it was a bargain for all the seeds inside.

However, a google search shows there are now some hybrid versions of the Hami melon and I am sure this is a hybrid. A big commercial operation is not going to grow Open Pollenated OP when it can get a higher yield from hybrids.

Another Hami picture is here from the same company.

http://www.turlockfruit.com/images/Promotional/Brochure%20and%20website%20pictures%20078.jpg

Turlock Fruit Co
    500 South Tully Road
    Turlock, CA 95380-5121
    (209) 634-7207

They can probably tell you where to buy one of their melons local to you.

my food store has a sale on for 5 types of melon

Cranshaw
    Casaba
    Galia
    Orange Flesh
    Hami

Turlock specializes in 12 kinds of melons. So this advertising fits what he sells. All at the same sale price of 89 cents a pound. All 5 of these melons were mixed together on the same sales table. Each has a sticker with the name of the melon on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:390542}}

• hwlee
    13 years ago

I thought Hami Melons are hybrid. I saved some seeds from a year ago but never planted them thinking they might not germinate. Guest I'll try them next spring. Any tips on growing them?

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals