Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abejadulce_z9b

dok care bong su dua

abejadulce_z9b
16 years ago

I'm hoping someone here can help me identify this.

In a typical adventure outing to a local Asian supermarket, I picked up a package in the produce department labeled "dok care bong su dua." I thought that it was bean pods. Upon closer examination, they are greenish ivory flower buds.

Searching google for "dok care bong su dua" was less than illuminating. I got "Do you mean ÂDog care bong su dua?Â" Well, no, actually I donÂt mean "dog care." Searches about edible Asian flowers or flower buds were equally useless.

The flavor of the raw bud is fairly innocuously flowery although the aftertaste is bitter.

I added some to a stir fry of gai choi. The gai choi was delicious, but the flower buds were unpalatable.

Suddenly it occurred to me that this might be one of those vegetables that need to be parboiled in six changes of water to purge it of deadly toxins before you eat it, so I thought I'd take advantage of the collective knowledge of the experts here before I try the next cooking experiment.

IÂm just kidding about the poisoning part, of course, but my experience is that sometimes thereÂs more than one name or alternative spellings for words translated from languages that donÂt use the Roman alphabet.

Can anyone help me out? Would pictures be helpful?

Thank you in advance,

Beatrice

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!