Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellieandethansmom

Newbie buying Taro at the Asian market--Small ones?

ellieandethansmom
19 years ago

I just made some phone calls to some asian markets and found some Taro---but they asked whether I wanted the big ones (which were $.99 a pound) or the small ones (which were $1.20 a pound) I don't know what any of that means, shouldn't the big ones be more expensive? Do the big ones mean the same as mammoth elephant ears (ie bigger leaves?)

Also, I am not planting these guys until spring, what is the best way to store over winter? I have lots of perlite to pack them in, if that will work . . thanks for any help! Dana

Comments (6)

• Eggo
    19 years ago

I think they may be refering to the corms. Some produce huge corms while others produce very small ones. It's been a while but I recall that the large one had a much softer texture while the small ones were a bit more firmer in texture....or was it the other way around...I'm probably not helping. =)

• bluebloom
    19 years ago

I don't know how the big ones turn out for plants... I forgot to plant the one I bought a couple of years ago. But if you do get the small ones (or I suppose the big one too), if you have a bit of indoor space you can start them indoors and have them as houseplants over the winter. Maybe give them a head start for the spring/summer season.

I'm not sure about the right way to store them... maybe like dahlias? Or in the fridge? I've had some go moldy when I had them set aside & forgot about them, loose in a plastic bag.

• taffyj
    19 years ago

I know its been a long time since the last post on this thread, but I had to respond... Don't put them in the fridge! That may be fine if you plant to eat them, but not to grow them. These plants like to be at 60 degrees F, and do even better at about 75 degrees. Store them in semi dry peat moss, or you can start growing them immediately by potting them up in a loose organic mix and keeping them warm. Water moderately until they have leaves. The combination of wet and cold will rot the tubers. Get them warm, then water after they start growing. And they like lots of light.

• robolink
    19 years ago

I bought a Taro root at an Asian market, but it appeared to have the top of the tuber cut off. All of them were sold that way. The elephant ear bulbs I've bought were not flat on the top.

Do you think they are sold "pre-trimmed" for eating purposes or is this how Taro bulbs look?

• baci
    18 years ago

Robolink that is what they are supposed to look like. There is also a root sold in some groceries that looks similar to taro called malanga. Sometimes malanga is referred to as a large taro. The root looks like a large taro, & will grow & leaf out as a large taro, but it is a different plant.

• CYriz
    18 years ago

[QUOTE=Eggo] It's been a while but I recall that the large one had a much softer texture while the small ones were a bit more firmer in texture....or was it the other way around...I'm probably not helping. =)[/QUOTE]

It is the other way around. :)...

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus