Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeybob_gw

Edible Pod Soybeans?

mikeybob
17 years ago

Someone asked me to get them some seeds so they can grow edible pod soybeans next year. Is there such a thing?

Comments (5)

• breasley
    17 years ago

Edamame is edible soybeans. The link below will take you to Evergreen Seeds. Scroll down just a little.

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/asveglis.html

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

As far as I know, there are no "edible pod" soybeans, like the edible-podded peas; the pods of soybeans are very fibrous. All soybean seeds are edible (either green or dry)... but not all are pleasant.

The "edamame" types refered to by Breasley have larger, sweeter, more tender seeds when harvested in the ripe green stage. They have often been bred exclusively for that purpose, as opposed to the dry soybeans that are so common in mainstream agriculture.

U.S. sources for edamame soybeans have taken a real beating in recent years... but there are still quite a few out there. Besides Evergreen mentioned above, Kitazawa, Seed Savers Exchange, Seed Dreams, Johnny's, and Territorial are also good sources. Almost any large seed house will carry at least one.

I highly recommend "Sayamusume" (from Territorial), "Butterbean" (from Johnny's) and "Shirofumi" (Seed Savers). All are large, high-quality, high-yielding edamame soybeans.

• yama
    17 years ago

Hi Mike
    All soybean seed can be use for Edamame. How ever some soy beans are hybryed for Edamame production.

normaly it will take about 90~ 95 days after geminated. For edamame production seed are sawed closely 2 inch part or so. When seeds are sawed closely and grow , it will prevent weed to grow. After 90~95 days, you cut stem 2~3 inch above ground. sepalate seed pod and put in boiling water for 3~ 5 minute( do not remove seed from pod), empty out seed pot and sprinckle some salt.
    You are not going to eat pod. Eat green seeds in side of pod ^^.

Edamae is young soy beam and it is very healthy snack for all age. you can buy at grocery store at frozen food section too. Most oriental store carry edamame.
    It is great for kid's snack as well as for beer nuts.
    Many soy bean are developed for differen climates but for small scall home garden, most seed soy bean should do well.

If you buy soy bean seeds to grow , soybean or any other seeds are much expensive. If you buy soy bean as foods, seeds are much cheaper. To grow soy bean for next spring, this year crop is best. old soy bean may not germinate 90~ 95 %. If you in are mid west, ask to extention service for elevetor who sell soy bean to farmer as seed or sell/ export to other country. If you buy 50~ 60 lbs, you can use for food and as well as for seeds. You can make tofu, soy milk easly.

USA is #1 soy bean production in the world and export.
    Years ago , I gorwed it myself and study it for commercial production.

If this is not enough information, visit Japanese garden forum. you also will have postive response. (I normaly visit only Japanese garden forum.)
    yama

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

Mikeybob, Yama's estimate of 90-95 days is accurate; the majority of edamame varieties are in soybean Maturity Group I, which will ripen _almost_ anywhere in the U.S. Only in a few areas (such as the Rockies & some of the Northern Maritime regions of the East & West Coast) are soybeans likely to pose a challenge.

I disagree with Yama, however, on planting soybeans obtained from local farms. For one thing, field soybeans are smaller, and may not be as tender or flavorful as those bred for edamame.

And the majority of soybeans grown in the U.S. are now genetically modified (GMO), so there is a high probability that any soybeans obtained through farm sources (unless certified organic) would be mostly GMO. Regardless of your feelings about GMO's as food, they are also patented, and planting them - and saving seed - would be illegal.

Yama, I am very interested in your comments about tofu... especially how easy (or difficult?) it is to prepare in small batches, using home equipment.

• yama
    17 years ago

Hi zeedman
    If he/mike buy soy bean as food, pattented soy bean is nothing ilegal( buying and useing). If he buy soy bean as seed from elevatore and granted to sell from pattent holder, mike can grow legaly pattented soy bean. If mike sell soy bean as foods , it is legal and he use own field to gorw also legal. If he sell soy bean as seed/ soy bean production then it is ilegal. Some one growing 1,000's acre of soy bean things you mention is matter. but patent holder of soybean probably don't care homeownwe grow small pacth of edamame.
    Maturity group 1 is for nothern part of Us and Canada, here in Georgia We use group 3 or 4, Northern Flrodida, south Ga use group 5. Most mid west soybean produceing states are using Group 2 to 4. Georgia is 16th of soybean production in USA.

If you have large size presure cooker( for home, not commerial size) and blender you cam make tofu and soy milk. If you think baffolow wing is easy to cook or chili, Then I should say easy.^^ . some internet Japanese goods store sell supply. Try" Fujisan. com"
    If you live large city, check Japanese food store near by If you know any Japanese ask then.

When I was going to grow soybean commercialy , I made many soybean products my self and cooked . Since I divorced Japanese wife and leaning kosher food, Indian, Thai and korean, I am forgetting many Japanese stuff. ^^