Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reefisher

Fall veggies doing well

reefisher
17 years ago

I've posted in the past about the vagaries of optimal choy sum planting dates in my climate. Here are some successful plantings started the first of October.

{{gwi:390638}}

Some new to me asian greens

{{gwi:390639}}

And some always reliable turnips, baby bok choy and on of my fav lettuces Sierra

{{gwi:390640}}

Comments (7)

• digit
    17 years ago

Big affirming oooo, lovely veggie pictures, Reefisher.

How will the turnips be used - as greens, roots, both?

Steve

• jimster
    17 years ago

My fall crops have not done well. Your pictures provided some needed inspiration, reefisher. Thanks.

Jim

• reefisher
    Original Author
    17 years ago

digit, usually we use both the roots and tops, briefly stir fried in a very little bacon fat, then braised with a little chicken stock and soy sauce with the bacon bits tossed in.

• digit
    17 years ago

Exactly as in our house, Reefisher. Except, we don't go the turnip route. We've enjoyed a nice radish this way, however. I got the seed years ago and it was supposedly a Russian radish without hairs on the leaves and stem, otherwise, they are very much like our small red radishes. We grow the plants every year but usually just eat 'em fresh.

Often, we shake a little rice vinegar in a stir-fry and my wife is inclined to sprinkle in some sugar. I sometime stir corn starch in the stock but DW considers that going a little too far. She's the Asian so . . .

I recently learned that "rapa" means "turnip." So I guess that some botanist decided that all these Brassica rapa veggies we enjoy, bok choy, mizuna, Chinese cabbage, etc. are all turnips!?!?

Steve

• fliptx
    17 years ago

Those all look great, Reefisher!

My bok choy has been growing a bit slowly because my garden doesn't get a lot of sun this time of year. Just an hour or two of direct light and then a few mostly shady hours. But even though it's growing slowly, the plants still look healthy and green.

• reefisher
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Fliptx, one of the things I like about bok choy, at least the mei ching, is the long harvest window. Especially fall planted. Slow growing works. Is that nasty cold storm going to affect you?

• fliptx
    17 years ago

Reefisher- My bok choy froze solid during the cold spell we had. But then the sun came up, the bok choy thawed, and are still growing with no ill effects. I've been harvesting some of the babies while leaving a few to grow full size.

I love the little ones tossed into a pile of steaming hot Asian noodles, then stirred with a little mushroom sauce and sesame oil. The residual heat from the noodles wilts the bok choy just a bit. Yum!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!