Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maspirasjr

Anyone heard of 'ubi'?

maspirasjr
20 years ago

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a tuber called "ubi"? I believe this is a tropical tuber that is native to Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, but I'm not sure what the species name is. Thanks!

Marcelo

Comments (14)

• winane
    20 years ago

marcelo,

i believe it's called "colacasia esculenta". See the link :)

happy gardening!
    win

Here is a link that might be useful: TARO (colocasia esculenta)

• singwell
    20 years ago

The Malay word "Ubi" by itself describes an underground root, so includes many of the root veges native to island SEA.eg sweet potato, yam. To determine which variety, there are more specific names eg "Ubi kayu" is the malay/indonesian word for cassava/tapioca.

• ianna
    20 years ago

Hi, yes, ubi is a Filipino name for taro. We've never used it to described sweet potato or any other root vegetables. Where I'm from, it's used mostly as a sweet, like in jams, candies and even as a sweet coconut based porrage called ginataan.
    When cooked Ubi turns purple. Don't handle it with bear hands, always use something to protect your hands and don't wipe your face while handling the root. It has a sap that stings. This trait disappears once the ubi is boiled.

I'm not familiar with the usage of the term in Indonesia or Malaysia.

• pasogirl75
    20 years ago

in indonesia 'ubi' is sweet potato

• tropicaliste
    20 years ago

Hey Everyone & Happy New Year!
    In the Philippines "Ubi" or "Ube" is the name of a purple sweet potato, and is shaped just like a regular sweet potato having the same texture and skin, it's made into many Filipino foods like jams and a delicious ice cream. The taro root as you can see in the photo is not quite shaped like a sweet potato, and has a different taste and chewy texture. I have also never heard of "Ubi" used outside of Filipino dishes, but have found the use of Taro flavor in Asian gelatin.
    Have A Good One!

• ianna
    20 years ago

What a big goof I did here. Yes I was thinking of that yam rather than the taro. I don't quite know how I got mixed up but there you go... Anyway, here's an excellent website to check veggies from the Phil.

http://www.tribo.org/vegetables/sampler.html

• zatil
    19 years ago

In Malaysia:
    Ubi Kayu is tapioca
    Ubi Kentang is potato
    and the kinds of Ubi is endless, so unless you have the origin of the word identified, its going to be hard to figure our what that is ...

• ahmadzahidi
    18 years ago

'Ubi' is a general term for a type of plant or vegetables in the tropical. 'Ubi Kayu'(local term in Malaysia) or cassava/tapioca is the most popular having botanical name of Manihot utilissima or Manihot esculenta. 'Ubi Keledek' refers to sweet potato and the botanical name is Ipomoea batatas. While 'Ubi Keladi' or Taro popularly known as yam having botanical name of Colocasia esculenta.

• Anakaleki
    18 years ago

I thought ubi or ube in the Philippines referred to that big purple yam, not sweet potato.

• ahmadzahidi
    18 years ago

You are right.. the big purple yam you referred to is one of the 'ubi' and that refers to Colocasia esculenta.. but there are other types of 'ubi'.. even potatoes (solanum tuberosum) are called 'ubi kentang' in Malaysia and Indonesia..

Here is a link that might be useful: Colocasia esculenta

• Anakaleki
    18 years ago

I was thinking of the Dioscorea yam not Colocasia.

So 'ube' or 'ubi' in Malaysia can refer to many different unrelated root crops?

I have only seen ube used to refer to a purple-fleshed variety of Discorea in the Philippines.
    This isn't Colocasia is it? I was pretty sure it was Discorea:

http://www.tribo.org/vegetables/ube.html

I hate how yam can refer to so many different plants.

• ahmadzahidi
    18 years ago

I have never seen such yam before but maybe participants from Malaysia can help. Is the botanical name Dioscorea batatas? That is somehow interesting..

• abetsocal
    18 years ago

Ubi in the Philippines is the big purple yam that is used mainly to make jam. It is also one of the most common ice cream flavor (sometimes combined with macapuno) used in the country. I've been growing them for the last three years here in southern California and they can multiply rapidly.

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

Anyone have recipes to share?

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living