Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Gongura seed?

Posted by sharmin (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 8, 06 at 23:47

I need Gongura seeds (RED AND GREEN). Can some one share? I will exchange Dill seeds or Oregano herb seeds. Please email at sharminnyc@yahoo.com.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Gongura seed?

Gongura seeds are available from seeds of India.Another name for it is Jamican sorrel.Hindi name ambadi Bhaji.
There are 2 varieties. Both of them are easy to grow.
They grow four feet plus.
You can also get thotakoora, the andhra variety of amarathus and the north Indian variety of of amaranthus from the same seeds of India.
you can get most of the seeds or plants here including
Nandi vardhanam,
pari Jatham
Kanakambaram
all varieties of Jasmine
including drumstick(munaga here)
regards

o

How acidic is Gongura sorrel compared to European / American garden sorrels?

o

It is a bit sour in taste.I have not compared to american sorrel.
There are 2 asian varities.Light green and dark green.They grow quite tall at least 4to 5 feet.

o

I enjoyed eating a red-veined sorrel in salad. This variety was highly ornamental in the garden, and in the plate. I would only add a few leaves per salad, once every few days, because I was afraid of the potential toxicity of oxalic acid. I've also had one or two types of all-green (european?) sorrels that were a little bit more sour.

How is Gongura eaten in India? Ie., does cooking reduce acidity? I have never tried cooking any sorrel.

Perhaps I should have asked how does the acidity compare to that of spinach, raw & cooked? All raw sorrels that I have eaten were more sour than any spinach -- more like lemon fruit.

o

In India it is never consumed uncooked.Cooked with lentils
(boiled), fried and added like mint leaves to bring some sourness.to other vegetables or meat.

o

Hi guys Please do not try eating Raw gongura..May be the tiny tiny young leaves are okay..But raw gongura is fed to baby calves to clear the intestinal contents.

o

You can buy the seeds at www.superseeds.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here