Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyjenny

Sichuan / sancho pepper

ladyjenny
20 years ago

Zanthoxylum alatum/ simulans, planispinum, armatum or piperitum

I am looking for plant/ seed for this, does any one know where I can get ?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• tailwheel
    20 years ago

If this is Sichuan peppercorns, forget it. The importation of this herb has been stopped by the USDA. The only way to get it now is on the black market. I don't believe the tree will grow in the USA.

• ladyjenny
    Original Author
    20 years ago

tailwheel: what a bummer! I guess I can use the off-the-shelf herb i bought from asian markets then... does it introduce some kind of disease or something?

• tailwheel
    20 years ago

No, I believe that the seeds were full of larvae from some kind of bug.

• gengis
    19 years ago

I know a few internet sources for sansho seeds (ex: Sandeman seeds in Europe). Alas, I have not yet been able to grow it from seed.

Regarding Zanthoxylum Simulans, I think ForestFarm Plant nursery has some trees for sale (located in the US).

Does anybody know if the young leaves of Zanthoxylum Simulans are edible (compared to the Piperitum variant)??

Thanks

Gengis

• Violet_Z6
    19 years ago

Gengis,

The leaves are used medicinally. Refer to the following sources for more information:

A Barefoot Doctors Manual
    Running Press
    ISBN 0-914294-92-X
    A very readable herbal from China, combining some modern methods with traditional chinese methods.

Medicinal Plants of China
    Duke. J. A. and Ayensu. E. S.
    Reference Publications, Inc. 1985
    ISBN 0-917256-20-4
    Details of over 1,200 medicinal plants of China and brief details of their uses. Often includes an analysis, or at least a list of constituents. Heavy going if you are not into the subject.

• solanum1
    19 years ago

Gengis,
    Zanthoxylum piperitum seeds need to be sown very fresh, in the shade and in a very light leafy medium which is kept moist.
    Rose-Marie

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

I would think it would be difficult to grow some of these in Montreal, Canada because it would be too cold without artifical conditions to keep them warm.

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

This is no longer under importation ban.

• sdmay44
    17 years ago

I am a pretty fair gardener and would love to try and get a Sichuan Peppercorn shrub growing - does anyone have a seed source?
    Thanks

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

Did you check the FAQ for this forum?

For additional sources, look here...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sources for Zanthoxylum piperitum Seeds

• someoldbird
    15 years ago

the ban was lifted quite awhile ago, go to your nearest chinese resturant and ask. anyway i actually live in asia now, i have some that i picked myself while hiking, they are the real thing, i know cus i tricked a friend into eating one and watched his reaction. now, what are the directions for planting and growing them????

• gengis
    15 years ago

I someoldbird,

I was able to germinate some seeds with 3 months of cold stratification.

• miracureleanu
    13 years ago

Dear Friends,

I just found Zanthoxylum simulans and cultivated Polygonum hydropiper and i just decided that i cannot live without. the problem is i live in romania and is somehow hard to aqquire propper seeds.

Do you happen to know any european vendor?

How can i be sure of the quality of seeds if i try from e-bay?

If i grow Zanthoxylum simulans from seeds, there is any chance to know which is male/ female plant, if Z. stimulans at all?

yours trully,
    mira

Sponsored