Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Interested in trying Asian Greens but how do you eat it?

My DH does enjoy Bok Choy, but we only add it to a meat stir fry or saute it alone with garlic and oil. I would like to use more oriental greens but we are pretty unfamiliar with how to use them or how they taste. Wondered if anyone had some suggestions for which greens to try and/or any recipes?

Thanks,

pm2

Comments (7)

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

My advice is to buy a bunch of seeds and grow them. Eat them any way you want. no recipe needed. Some will be better cooked but some are great raw. You will know. just eat a pinch in the garden and see how it tastes and the texture.

everything can be stir fried with anything else. recipes are not needed. You can cook it soup. you can put into salads either cooked or raw.

I got most of my greens from Fedco Seeds for about a dollar each. You can hardly go wrong. Pick a dozen and grow them all and see what you like.

For salad I like a big bowl that is about half Mizuna and half lettuce. Hope that helps. I also love Mizuna in soup. I dont do stir fry much. Mizuna is a must grow! I plant as early as possible in the spring and harvest all summer right past frosts in the fall from the same plants. I simply chop off the leaves above ground so the grow tips keep producing.

Asian greens are pages 52 to 54.

Let me say that all of the greens can be eaten raw or cooked any way you like to cook them. Do it your way.

I microwave the leaves in a covered bowl and then freeze them for the winter in zip lock bags. You will never grow enough so plant more than you think you want.

I did some new ones this past year and will be doing more new ones next year.

Everyone's taste is different. You have to find what you prefer. No one can tell you what to eat. You have to determine that yourself.

Good Luck

Just dive in. You will be glad you did.

There are no bad Asian Greens.

You can trust Fedco that all their varieties are tested and taste good.

Here is a link that might be useful: fedco catalog

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gardendawgie, funny, that is just where I saw the Asian Greens offered that got me thinking about trying them. Ok, well if you don't have a favorite to suggest I try, I will see if they have a Mix. Sometimes they do that too. I do like FEDCO for sure. Planning a big order this week.

• digit
    13 years ago

Hi PM2, I hope I'm not too late to comment!

I grow bok choy with seed from another source but Fedco has some of my favorites: Blues Chinese cabbage grows well but must stay under a plastic tunnel in my part of the world.

Maruba Santoh is a very mild Asian green and suitable for eating as a salad veggie.
    Fun Jen is a good substitute for an Asian mustard green and grows very, very quickly in cool weather conditions.
    The "Chinese Thick-Stem" mustard is probably very similar to what I have in my garden each year. But, I have saved the seed that I got from another gardener.
    Senposai can grow very large in my garden if I give it adequate space. It will have a long season and develop flow buds that I can harvest and use like broccoli.

You probably have a source for bok choy; get a couple of the dwarf varieties. If you have Komatsuma - you now have, just about, my garden of Asian greens!

Most of these greens show up at my table in stir-fries but often, some leaves will go in with an egg in a pot of noodles. Stir-fries can be very simple. A few pieces of bacon, cut up and fried with a big pile of greens and some scallions -- use broth as the greens cook down. A splash of rice vinegar and just a little corn starch mixed in broth with a good Japanese soy sauce there at the very last!

Steve

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Steve, thanks for the input. I did make my FEDCO order already, I ordered...Tatsoi OG never tried it before, and Prize Choy Pac Choi OG. I'm about to order from Johnny's Seeds...Osaka Purple OG, which is a spicy mustard. So, I'm hoping that will give me a good start.

I like that recipe for your stir fry greens. When you say use broth, you mean just add some chicken broth at that point? Definitely going to try it! I'm wondering how I'm going to like spicy mustard, do you eat that alone or just add it to other milder greens?

I am hoping to grow something late into the fall or even overwinter something.

• digit
    13 years ago

Yep, chicken broth, PM, as the veggies begin to lose liquid during stir-frying. It won't require much broth.

I think of mustard greens as a potherb. By that I mean, they are either steamed or boiled. Often I cut them into shreds. You may want to change the water a couple minutes into cooking if they are too spicy.

If your greens seem a little too spicy, remember that Maruba Santoh to try. And, if they seem too chewy for you give the Komatsuna a try, also.

Steve

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Steve! I am actually thinking of using some for both broths and stir fries but raw too. I like to mix up assorted things in the food processor, like Kale/Celery/Kiwi and eat it that way. It comes out sort of like a pudding...lol. I know it's not for everyone but I am experimenting. I guess I would only add a little of the spicy greens to the raw mixtures.

I will keep in mind the other suggestions for next year.

• trini1trini
    13 years ago

I find the asian greens great cooked and raw. I've used it in quiche, lasagna and salads. I have also stir fry it and put it in tortillas with cheese and spaghetti sauce and bake it. The kids love it.
    It's the easiest veggie that I grow and quite cost-effective. I need 'easy' since I am not well these days and the asian greens work for me.