Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mensplace

Asian/Indian/ Middle eastern

mensplace
14 years ago

There is a whole world of new food experiences just waiting to be tried, but some, like bitter melon, I can pass on. Any suggestions for someone just starting into such experimentation as to what non-western food plants I SHOULD be sure to try. Sources would help too as I have never tried such seeds or vergetables.

Comments (5)

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There really are sooo many. If you take the time to just browse through the threads in this Asian Vegetable forum, you'll discover a wealth of suggestions as well as recipe suggestions. Everything mentioned is here because someone wants to grow it to eat. And I suggest you don't knock bitter melon until you try it... *wink*

• denninmi
    14 years ago

Well, as Violet pointed out above, there are so many different crops, it can be hard to pick some. I'd say, try thing that either appeal to you because they sound so exotic, or that are things you think you and your family might eat and enjoy.

As far as sources go, three companies I have dealt with before that are all good IMO are:

Seeds of India: seedsofindia.com
    Kitazawa Seed Company: kitazawaseed.com
    Evergreen Y.H. Enterprises: evergreenseeds.com

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

Ah... I see you have some previous experience in grown Asian produce. In this case, it might be best to let us know what you've actually tried and liked and did not like.

What are three dishes with eastern produce that you like and why?

This will help us to not make random suggestions, and suggest things you have not already tried.

• mensplace
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Like most Americans, I have the most exposure to Chinese. That means familiarity with the Napa Cabbage, Bok Choy and Pak Choy. Cannot really taste a lot of difference between many of the "choys". HAVE had bitter melon and didn't really like the bitterness. Like most stir frys when cooked properly,i.e., crisp vegetables. Have had many types of eggplant, but again, not a lot of taste difference, though I do like a firm texture and few seed. Not crazy about Korean foods like the kimchee and blue, unflavored gelatin. The Japanese I had, like miso, was WAY to salty. Am sensitive (heart and BP) to salt and MSG. Thought the Thai spring rolls the BEST because they were fresh, light and crispy. Love Indian foods...they really know how to prepare their spices. Love most mediterranean/middle eastern foods. Bottom line, I'm afraid that a lot of what I have had, except for the dim sum in one restaurant, had been westernized. I'm open to trying most foods, but in gardening, prefer some different flavors and texturesrather than ten or so greens that mostly taste the same, so would it be worth saying that I would like to start with a variety of different veggies. Already have many alliums and would think them interchangeable? Do not want to grow anything that could be dangerous (poisonous) if not properly prepared. I have much to learn.

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

That helps quite a bit.. In that case, I suggest looking in to Vietnamese cuisine. It's a bit more palatable for most Western palates than say Korean kimchee. While the vegetables may or may not be different than what you've already had, the combinations of ingredients that go with the produce create a treasure of flavor and texture.

Also, I know you said you're looking for vegetable recommendations, but it sounds like you've already tried a wide variety. Here is my suggestion to you. That you research the cuisines you like, and find tried and true recipes that sound good to you, then grow the vegetables you'll need to make those recipes. This may work better for you than growing vegetables and then finding ways to cook them. While many may taste similar, there can be a great difference in the end result based on preparation.

As you stated, many vegetables in the same family will taste similar to each other. The key is not only fresh produce, it's knowing what to do with it.

For instance:
    Chinese cuisine: regular green beans or asian yard long beans with fermented bean paste. I haven't met any Westerner who tried it and did not like it.

Shiitake mushrooms slowly sauteed with garlic, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and other flavorings.

Cilantro, vietnamese cilantro, or culantro mixed with ground pork, thin rice noodles, lettuce, and carrots then rolled into a spring roll and fried.

Ong Choy, also known as Asian spinach is a water plant in the morning glory family that is one of the few vegetables which is not supposed to be crispy when cooked. But is delicious sautd with fermented bean curd (as with the green beans above).

What is considered one of the best in the Asian cabbage (choy) family is gai choy, because of the sweet, delicately crispy stem and flower buds.

I don't know how many times you've had Miso but it shouldn't be overly salty if prepared properly, no more salty than a can of Campbell's soup. And there should be a hint of sweetness to it. Often there are cubes of silken tofu and a touch of scallions, or seaweed. There are also different types of miso. "Different varieties of miso have been described as salty, sweet, earthy, fruity, and savory, and there is an extremely wide variety of miso available." Look for one that isn't so salty.

Eggplant can be delicious if prepared so that it absorbs a lot of good flavor.

I personally have only had a limited amount of Indian food, so my suggestion is to follow the link provided below and browse the recipes there to see what might catch your eye.

Another thing to consider, since you like the Indian spices is to foray into ethnic herbs.

Brussels sprouts aren't considered Asian, but they are delicious if home grown. Garlic is also a good choice for the home gardener because you can grow hardneck varieties not often readily available unless you have a really good farmer's market near you.

I like edamame and yard long beans. Winter melon is fun to grow and good for a savory soup. I also recommend kohlrabi.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian Recipes with a focus on Vegetables

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?