Rhododendron, 'Lem's Cameo'.

Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (botann@aol.com) on
Mon, May 22, 06 at 14:32

This is my favorite.....by far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lem's Cameo Rhododendron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhododendron, 'Lem's Cameo'.

That's gorgeous. This season I bought Point Defiance, which is another one of Lem's. I think I might need Lem's Cameo now too. ;-)

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 07 at 23:56

Often looks more peachy or orangish, when it is positively luscious. However, the foliage isn't much, as can be seen even in this photo.

Used to be hard to get and quite expensive, due to propagation difficulties. I grew one for awhile that was given to me, think it probably came with a phytophthora problem - the basis for the previous owner tiring of it (in addition to its inherent drawbacks as a foliage plant). Also had a chronic chlorosis-like condition, finally I think it mildewed after that appeared on the site here. Eventually I discarded it. For a somewhat different assessment:

"'Lem's Cameo'...A sensational apricot cream and pink, with a real glow. Super foliage is deep shiny green in summer and bright bronzy red when new, a show in itself! When you see this plant in flower, you will know why, it, along with 'Trude Webster', was the first of all the rhododendrons to be given the coveted Superior Plant Award. Extremely difficult to propagate. Still being sold under the name 'Cameo', which is actually the name of a different plant."

--H.E. Greer, GREER'S GUIDEBOOK TO AVAILABLE RHODODENDRONS

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, May 27, 07 at 12:42

I tried taking cuttings of it once and almost all of them rooted. I had about 20 but now only have two. I sold or gave away the rest. I haven't had any problems with the foliage even though one is planted within ten feet of a large Dawn Redwood. (What was I thinking?!) I'll get a foliage picture later today.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Mon, May 28, 07 at 14:58

Here's the foliage picture. Click to enlarge.
img_3489

o

Botann, you always have the most beautiful plants!!
I am so jealous!! And still waiting for that offer to move into the cabin and become your gardner!! :D

Paula

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 19, 11 at 12:18

Spelling it "gardener" might improve prospects.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here