Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azaleas

Posted by dummy_2010 texas (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 29, 10 at 13:32

I have many Encore Azaleas. When I plnat them they are full, green and beautiful. Once they're in the soil they gradually thin out.I have planted them with an Asalea soil in the hole.
I have a soil with a pH of 7.00 excess phosphorus(130 ppm), calcium (3489ppm) Magnesium(159ppm). I think I need to lower the pH and reduce concentration of phosphorus.WHat the best approach to accomplish that? Any other thoughts would also be appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azaleas

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 2, 10 at 0:00

I can't address the phosphorus, but your PH is too high to grow healthy rhododendrons/azaleas.

Why don't you read through the section on soil ph in rhodymans website for increasing the acidity...

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil PH, sulphur applications

o
RE: Azaleas PS

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 2, 10 at 12:23

I came across this article in my favorites this morning when looking for something else - you might find it worthwhile reading too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Changing soil acidity

o
RE: Azaleas

The best way to grow acid loving plants is a raised bed with a good acidic soil. I recommend using a gravel bed under the raised bed to aid drainage and to keep the alkaline soil from affecting the raised bed. Also, make sure your irrigation water is not alkaline. You may need to save rain water to irrigate your azaleas. Also mulch well to keep the soil temperature cool and to conserve water. The azaleas may need partial shade depending upon the variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for rhododendrons and azaleas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here