Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Encore Azaleas to Replace Lora Petalum

Posted by charles1218 8 (Alabama) (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 15:03

I would like to replace the lora petalum in front of the 4 foot fence between our porch and pond. The only problem with the lora petalum is that it obstructs the view when it grows about a foot above the fence. I'm thinking about Encore azaleas (e.g., Autumn Lilac), and would appreciate some advice on which varieties might be a good choice. They need to stay below 4 foot in height. An image of the view from the porch is here. http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/FarmerCharlie/web/Pond/IMG_0629_qs_zpsba97781c.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Encore Azaleas to Replace Lora Petalum

Any of the dwarf Encores should work. They tend to have weak spring bloom and in late summer they again have a weak bloom until frost. If they do eventually get too tall, azaleas can be pruned. In this case I would recommend cutting the longer branches back considerably right after they bloom. That is much more effective and longer lasting then shearing them like a hedge.

You could use a mixture. I would recommend planting several of the same variety together, but having a collection of different varieties.

Dwarf indica azaleas are semievergreen varieties that barely reach 3 feet tall. Red Ruffle is another true dwarf that reaches a maximum height of 2 to 3 feet.
Here is what the Alabama Extension service has to say about Dwarf Indica Azaleas:

Azaleas
Many authorities believe the dwarf Indica is separate from the Indica azaleas. The best known dwarf Indicas in this country are the Gumpo group, which are excellent landscape plants. They are compact, low growing plants that produce an abundance of small leaves. Large, ruffled flowers bloom in June. The Gumpo variety produces single, white, ruffled flowers up to 3-inches wide. Pink Gumpo produces pale pink flowers with a white edge. Gumpos are a good choice if you want a true dwarf azalea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf Encore Azaleas

o

Thanks for the suggestions and helpful links. I have been debating with myself between the Autumn Lilac and the Autumn Royalty. I suppose the later might grow slightly above the top rail of the 4' fence, but I'm guessing it wouldn't reguire near as much pruning as the lora petalum has.

o

Charles, I just thought you'd like to know that the name of your plant is Loropetalum, rather than lora petalum. :-)

Knowing the right way to spell a plant can make it easier to look up information.

o

I think some Pink Muhly grass would look good there. Its beautiful when in bloom, and if it does grow above the fence its thin enough to see though it. It can also be mowed down and it'll come right back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here