Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea Branch Spots

Posted by iawalk Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 2, 10 at 22:36

HELP! My beautiful azaleas have developed circular light green splotches all up and down their branches. It is killing the plants slowly and spreading. Does anyone know what this is or how I can put an end to it? Thank you in advance for your help!

:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea Branch Spots

One possibility is Twig Blight, Seifertia azaleae. Azalea and rhododendron branches can be affected by this disease. The disease is characterized by a grey powdery fungal growth. A mass of gray spores may be produced on leaf and branches surface. Infected shoots bend over at the lesion and may remain crooked or die back. Purple varieties are more susceptible to this disease. True resistance is not available as this is an opportunistic pathogen. To help reduce disease incidence, growers adjust plant spacing to reduce humidity and increase air circulation.

Azaleas that are sheared like a hedge are more prone to this problem. When pruning azaleas, one should open up the plant so that air can flow inside the plant. Use of hedge pruners is not advised because of this problem it causes.

Since you mention that the spots are green, I suspect that it is not Twig Blight, but is lichens. Lichens are curious & highly successful composite organisms consisting of a fungus growing in symbiotic concert with an algae, so that lichens become the only fungal organism capable of photosynthesis thanks to this union. Photosynthesis, hence the green color. However, lichens do not kill anything. They are just along for the ride, so to speak. They just sit there and generate their own nutrients.

Some people do not like lichens. Others prize them. I compare lichens to Spanish moss (which is not a lichen but is a bromeliad) and think they enhance the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here