Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda021025

Possible to root Rhododendron hard wood?

Linda G (zone 6a)
17 years ago

I'm sorry if this has been asked before - I have a evergreenrhododendron that needs to be cut back this spring but I am hoping that I can somehow root it? Don't know the name of it, but it's large leave and a hot dark pink. The piece that needs to be cut is about 1" where it should be cut, and it's hard-wood. I've hard of something called air-layering, where it's cut part way thru and then packed with root hormone and wrapped in spagnum mss and kept moist.

Would that work with this piece? I did find one post that talked about taking cuttings using a single leaf rosette but wanted to know if it could be done this way?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• luis_pr
    17 years ago

Hello, Linda0210. What you described sounds like grafting. You take a cutting from plant A and graft it into plant B.

Air Layering involves making a slit to a low growing branch, putting some growth hormone on the exposed cut area and then bending/burying the branch into the soil so the area with the cut is covered with soil. In about two seasons or less, you will have good roots and can cut the new plant from the parent & transplant it.

It was not clear when you wanted to start propagating. If you are trying to get this done before spring, Air Layering will definitely not do it since it takes about two seasons. And if you are trying to start now, the lack of leaves and the near frozen condition of the plant will make successful grafting and cuttings near impossible.

So if you were planning to start now, please wait until the plant leafs out and then choose between grafting (more complicated) or propagating by stem cuttings (less complicated, takes less time... from over a month to 4 months). Be aware that most people who propagate by stem cutting get best results when they start in the Summer.

That technique works as follows: turn on the sprinklers the night before, take many cuttings the next morning (when the stems are full of moisture) with 5 leaves per cutting, apply growth hormone (with fungicide) to the cutting, plant the cuttings in peat moss (half) and perlite (half), top with a plastic soda bottle (or use trays sold with plastic tops at nurseries/Lowes/etc), mist often, provide bottom heat (+75 degress F) and wait. In 1.5-4 months, when you have good roots, you can transplant them to a bigger pot with peat moss and perlite in a ratio of 60:40 & fertilize.

For more details on propagation by cuttings, click here. For more details on propagation by grafting, click here.

There are also others in the forum who have more experience with cuttings than I so hopefully they will see this thread and share their experiences, specially those in Zone 5 and/or those who have started cuttings in early spring.

Good luck Linda0210,
    Luis

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

luis, what you are describing is layering. Air layering is exactly what linda described. One precaution linda, cover the sphaghnum moss bag with a white plastic to keep it from cooking everything.

The technique for hardwood cuttings doesn't work too well for rhododendrons. Most anything will work with evergreen azaleas.

Here are some notes on air-layering by Art Drysdale (email: art@artdrysdale.com)

[Several weeks ago, I did a segment on my "Daily Gardener" vignette on Shaw TV here on Vancouver Island, and mentioned using the air-layering method to propagate Rhododendron shrubs. I believe I used my standard recommendation of taking an angular bite out of the stem to be propagated, just below a bud union. A variation, often used on Rhododendron shrubs is to carve a circle all the way around the stem, removing the bark, again just below a bud union. ... Generally it will take a couple of weeks for the callus to form, and then another few weeks for roots to grow. But, it is easy to tell when the rooted Âlayer is ready to sever from the main branch because the plastic wrapping will be filled with roots. And, if the plastic wrapping is tightly enough applied, say with wire twistems, the sphagnum moss wrapping should not dry out, and thus generally does not need to have water added.]

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Layering Rhododendrons

• davidl_ny5
    17 years ago

Linda,

In addition to what people said above, a good place to look for info on propagating shrubs is in William Cullina's, Native Trees, Shrubs and Vines. He gives good information generally on techniques as well as species-specific suggestions.

David

Here is a link that might be useful: Bill Cullina's Shrub Book

• Woodsy
    17 years ago

thanks for the information on rooting. I just came over to this forum for this very information. My mothr in law has a Delp rhody (unidentified) that I would love to take cuttings of.

• krazy_karma
    16 years ago

I started trying to root cuttings this June (following all the advice gathered from several sources), and out of about 12 cuttings, only one looks like it MIGHT make it. I'm thinking of trying air layering (not ground layering), but the nights here do get chilly (even in summer), so I don't know if it will work. We just bought over an acre (building house soon) and I need LOTS of Rhodies. Can't afford to buy them all. I'm usually very good with plants, so I must have done SOMETHING wrong.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

You may have taken your cuttings a little early for ideal semi-ripe wood. Now would be great, or next month into September...

Read through #s 15 and 16 by Dr Goheen, longtime contributor to the Portland Chapter ARS....

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhododendron ABCs - Goheen

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor