Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
All-year flowers - azalea

Posted by vetivert8 NI-NZ zone 9a (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 06 at 0:42

I recently bought an azalea whose label indicated that I could expect flowers at any time of the year. True to label it's in full flower at the moment (late summer). They're a strong pink, semi-double and frilled. Large, on a small plant that looks like a recent cutting. Well-rooted.

The flowers turn to mush in the rain. The plant does well with morning sun and afternoon shade. It's happy in moderate temperatures (18-25+C). I suspect it will not be so happy with frost, though the label said it could be planted out. It's living in a smallish bonsai tray at present so the root ball doesn't get excessively wet with watering.

It looks like an indica but I'd be pleased to know more about this particular strain, if anyone can help. The label was fairly light on useful information...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: All-year flowers - azalea

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 3:31

No names on the label?

Vireyas bloom in flushes, too.

o

Definitely not a vireya - at least, not the kinds usually offered in our area.

And the label was generic rather than detailed.

I'm still thinking 'indica' but I'm wondering if it is similar to the azaleas I've seen flowering in Queensland...

More clues would be welcome, thanks.

o

Maybe Encore Azaleas??

o

garden graphic gal - EUREKA!!! (Sorry for shouting but I'm so pleased to have found out!)

That's it - and I think my one is Autumn Carnation.

Thanks everyone, for sticking with this.

o

I bought 2 Autumn Carnation at a sale in Dec. I love everything about this one: the foliage is deep-dark green and the flowers a profuse and double and to say they are PINK is probably a little subtle.

cynthia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here