Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a light yellow rhododendron

Posted by GGardens 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 1:14

Any suggestions for a rhody variety that has light yellow bllooms and will not be too large. It will have about 4 hrs filtered sunlight in the a.m. and the rest of the day in shade from the house. I live about 2 blocks from the bay in Poulsbo, WA on the Olympic Pennisula--winters are usually pretty mild with only a few freezing days deep in the winter--summers rarely reach 90 F.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a light yellow rhododendron

The link below will take you to a post that discussed yellow rhododendron and yellow azalea recommendations. Note that some of the recommendations were not good for the poster because he/she was in Z6 but they should work for you in Z8.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post to

o

Good luck. I mean this part sarcastically, but sincerely.

Most yellow rhododendrons are quite susceptible to root rot and root rot flourishes in areas with hot, wet conditions, especially warm nights and especially with less than perfect drainage.

Work is being done to find good rhododendrons for the south, but results to date don't include yellows as far as I know.

On the other hand, many good yellow azaleas exist. Check with local extension agents for a yellow. If you can't find any, check out azaleas.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 11:38

rhodyman, ggardens is in PNW, cool summers and wet mild winters - not much in the way of heat to contend with other than some better temps in Aug and Sept when its typically dry - but I think you know that already :).

Ggardens, if I were you in your location, I'd make a stop at Valley Nursery or Bainbridge Gardens and see what they have to offer in the way of yellows. You'll find experienced staff to advise and guide you towards disease and insect resistance at either, and either would be a fun place to spend an afternoon - I try to make a day trip doing that later in Spring each year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here