Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggest plants that go well with Rhodies in Perennial Garden?

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 4, 11 at 3:45

I'm looking for suggestions on what I can plant in my perennial garden. I have a couple of red rhodies, purple heather, but am looking for something else low growing, preferably cream or white. The area faces northwest. Thanks everyone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggest plants that go well with Rhodies in Perennial Garden?

Since rhododendrons are acid loving plants with shallow roots, companion plants are usually acid tolerant plants with roots that won't compete with the rhododendrons. Some suggestions are: Adiantum , Anemone, Arisaema, Asplenium, Astilbe, Cyclamen, Euphorbia, Helleborus, Podophyllum, Polygonatum, and Pulmonaria.

o

Hi rhodyman, Thank you for your suggestions. This is really going to help me a great deal. Since I have no idea what most of these plants are or what they look like, It'll be fun to Google them. Thanks again for helping me and providing me with a good selection to choose from.

o

Perhaps columbine as well?
Photobucket
(I forget what the white thing is called)

o

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the idea. Wow, I love the color of your rhody. What kind is it.

o

It looks like a deciduous azalea. Some possibilities include Golden Flare or Klondike. I have grown Klondike and like it very much. There is a similar azalea that is more orange that is Gibraltar. They are very hardy and tolerate moist locations much better than most rhododendrons. I grew them on hillocks in a boggy area where blueberries would grow well.

The white looks like white yarrow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here