Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tanspant mauled Azelias to container?

Posted by kenzo 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 08 at 9:28

Hello.

Last fall I planted some small white Azelias in my garden. They were fairly brittle to begin with. They have not fared well over the winter. I have accidently trampled them a few times the dog has crushed them too. I would esitimate that about 50% or more of the original branches have been broken off. I do not see them survining the spring in thier current location. I do not have a safer in-ground location for them as I have only a small rowhouse garden. Even if they survive where they are they will not look nice as they have basically been crushed down to groundcover.

I was thinking about digging them up and tranplanting them to a container so they would not get crushed and maybe have a chance to grow. Is this a good idea? Do they stand a chance? They are just Home Depot cheapies but I cant bring myself to just throw them out. Can I tansplant now? zone 6 eastern PA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tanspant mauled Azelias to container?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 26, 08 at 19:21

What's your weather doing - if you have frozen ground or are still expecting hard freezes, the roots may be safer remaining in the ground for now.

Whether they'd fare better in pots is hard to say. Containerized, they need a quick draining potting medium that will retain moisture without staying soggy, and would be dependent on you for regular water and nutrition.

If they had time to begin to establish when you planted them in Fall, they might recover faster where they are, provided you could protect them - had you thought about encircling them with low fencing to temporarily protect them from being trampled? In any case, which ever you decide, cleanly remove anything jagged or broken with sharp pruners so as to not offer a secondary foothold for insects or disease.

o
RE: Tanspant mauled Azelias to container?

Thanks

The weather has been fairly warm and springy for FEB but could turn freezing at any time

Looked today and one has been reduced to a stump. The branches were so brittle on these that they just break off . The other Azaleas (red) that I planted seemed healthier from the get and have been more resistant to abuse.

Good point on the container though.. They may die there too I guess. I will think it over til the weekend when I have the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here